need some help with cutter for bent classics on lathe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

need some help with cutter for bent classics on lathe

Post by timothy thorpe »

Hi Guys,

hope everyone had a nice summer. I am working on upgrading my cutters on my lathe. I know most of you guys make your own. My question is what is the best angle and cutter to get far down on a bent pipe? I experimented a little, but did not want to mess up this really nice block! if someone could help me a little that would be great. looking forward to seeing some of you at the corps show!!

best,

Tim
wdteipen

Re: need some help with cutter for bent classics on lathe

Post by wdteipen »

I take it you're using a metal lathe? This is one reason why I prefer shaping on a wood lathe. I was never any good at the Etch-a-Sketch. I use a parting tool to cut my bowl closer towards the shank on bent pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wdteipen wrote:I take it you're using a metal lathe? This is one reason why I prefer shaping on a wood lathe. I was never any good at the Etch-a-Sketch. I use a parting tool to cut my bowl closer towards the shank on bent pipes.
I've never seen anyone use the Etch-A-Sketch method to shape a pipe on a metal lathe. You use the same method as on a wood lathe: Lock something in your tool post and use it as a tool rest while you use wood lathe tools to shape.

Tim, you just can't get that close to the shank shaping a bent pipe. There's no special tool to do this. You just get as close as you can and go from there by hand.

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Take the top part to where you feel comfortable and the shapes beginnings. The rest is hand work on the wheel.
It's similar to doing a billiard, take the first 1/3 of the bowl definition and shape from there.
Please smite me, Rod Davies is right, get close and go from there.
Your friendly hillbilly,
Bubba
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

*working up mana flow for a parful smiting*
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I think Sas may be inebriated....
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Sorry to disagree with Rad here, i know how he hates that but i do use the etch a sketch method for shaping my pipes. For ages I never had any wood turning tools so i just learnt to do it with the hand wheels, by the time i finally got some proper tools I was used to doing it the other way so i stuck with it. If I had to start over though I think i would recommend learning to di with with wood turning tools, probably easier to pick and use in the long run.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

thanks guys :) funny bruce :lol: I know i can't get as far down as a straight. Chris what tools are you talking about?

thanks everyone
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

caskwith wrote:Sorry to disagree with Rad here, i know how he hates that but i do use the etch a sketch method for shaping my pipes. For ages I never had any wood turning tools so i just learnt to do it with the hand wheels, by the time i finally got some proper tools I was used to doing it the other way so i stuck with it. If I had to start over though I think i would recommend learning to di with with wood turning tools, probably easier to pick and use in the long run.
Like I said, I've never seen anybody do it. :twisted:

Don't disagree with me again. I know some people.

What is a "partful smiting"?

Rad
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

wdteipen wrote:I take it you're using a metal lathe? This is one reason why I prefer shaping on a wood lathe. I was never any good at the Etch-a-Sketch. I use a parting tool to cut my bowl closer towards the shank on bent pipes.

Thats what I suggest, too.
Buy a wood lathe parting tool, and learn how to use it, it will help you almost in every pipe shape.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll use a parting tool from time to time, but a skew chisel it my primary tool in shaping pipe bowls on a lathe. I also use a 1/4" bowl gouge a lot.

You might have to experiment to see what method or tool works best for you.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've seen one other pipemaker other than Chris shape on a metal lathe using the Etch-A-Sketch method. I think it depends on one's background. Most of us probably start with woodworking on a wood lathe but some pipe makers have more experience on a metal lathe and are pretty good at using the dials. It's probably true that they are rare but I've seen at least one do it and do it pretty well.

Oh, and the parting tool I use is a 1/16" one for shaping the bowl close to the shank, approaching the pipe from the end like you would hollowing a bowl.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I frequently cut steps in the bowl using the metal lathe's cutting tools. Similar to using a parting tool, but sometimes faster. I think it's really just a matter of "do whatever works"

Desirous for this to assist
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Picture worth a thousand words.

It's just a head-on approach with the tool of choice.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Hey that's some potentially nice grain there Sas! I didn't know your pipes ever HAD nice grain... :twisted:
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/