Cutting rings on a bent pipe?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
billiard

Cutting rings on a bent pipe?

Post by billiard »

I'm trying to cut rings on a bent bull dog. I can cut rings on a straight bulldog with my mini-lathe readily but I am just not fast enough to move the tool in and out and avoid the shank spinning around on a bent :)

I know I can mark it with a pencil and then hit it with a dremel after its off the lathe but I would not end up with two nice crisp lines, close to each other, this way. I can envision building a tool to cut them while on the lathe but I am not set up for tool building, is this something I can purchase?

Without a metal lathe is there any better way to do this than my thoughts, that someone might clue me in on? PM works as well.

Many Thanks,
Bill
wdteipen

Re: Cutting rings on a bent pipe?

Post by wdteipen »

Do you have a grinder? I make my own tools by grinding down old long handled alan wrenches. I grind them down to just a nub at the 90 so it fits in tight places then flatten the profile to the thickness of the ring I want then cut a relief on it. You're basically making a parting tool out of it. You can mount the alan wrench on a handle or do what I do which is clamp it in a pair of vice grips. I use the alan wrenches that come with furniture and whatnot that you have to assemble.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Wow Wayne... alan wrenches?! You sir have some ghetto pride...
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
billiard

Post by billiard »

wdteipen wrote:Do you have a grinder? I make my own tools by grinding down old long handled alan wrenches. I grind them down to just a nub at the 90 so it fits in tight places then flatten the profile to the thickness of the ring I want then cut a relief on it. You're basically making a parting tool out of it. You can mount the alan wrench on a handle or do what I do which is clamp it in a pair of vice grips. I use the alan wrenches that come with furniture and whatnot that you have to assemble.
Excellent, thanks so much Wayne! I can't beleive I didn't think of that. I was thinking of taking a real wide flat tip screw driver and grinding that all up but an alan is perfect, and probably harder which is a good thing too.

:)
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Wayne, can you post a picture of your tool? I have been up since 4 this morning and am having a bit of trouble picturing it in my head.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

scotties22 wrote:Wayne, can you post a picture of your tool?

Scottie, this is a family forum, okay babe?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

NAAAAAAHHHHHH....you can't tell if things have been photo shopped or not in a picture :lol:

Women are bad at math because we've always been told 3 inches is really 6 :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

I've just recently found that the pics that are used to open up walnuts and such work great. They're cheap and can be ground and bent and sharpened easily.

JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I also use the same technique as Wayne, works fine on a mini-lathe since you can get into the bent part with a tool working at any angle you want!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Growley wrote:I've just recently found that the pics that are used to open up walnuts and such work great. They're cheap and can be ground and bent and sharpened easily.
The minute you posted that Brian I realized I use to use Dental pics all the time when restoring pipes which are basically the same tool and you can buy them by the boxes at flea markets. Thanks for posting that, will need to find my dental pics after work.
Growley

Post by Growley »

billiard wrote:
Growley wrote:I've just recently found that the pics that are used to open up walnuts and such work great. They're cheap and can be ground and bent and sharpened easily.
The minute you posted that Brian I realized I use to use Dental pics all the time when restoring pipes which are basically the same tool and you can buy them by the boxes at flea markets. Thanks for posting that, will need to find my dental pics after work.
Yep, I've got a dental pic too. The metal is probably better. Mine had a rounded edge though and was too thin to sharpen. Both should work great if you get the right edge on them and cut away a relief so you don't burn the wood.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Files are hard, hard metal, so if you get a little set of what's called rifflers, you can use them in this way too. They'll last longer than a pick, and you can sharpen them if you so desire.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

I bought a cobalt rod of 5mm diam. and grind its end into a parting tool of 1.1mm, then I put it to a handle I turned.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks everyone, I'm good to go now :)