Bevelling without lathe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
buistd

Bevelling without lathe

Post by buistd »

Hi there - Just wondering if anyone has any info on how I can get an evenly bevelled finish on the rim of a pipe without a lathe. I've been thinking of ways it could be done but short of creating (somehow) a concave pyramid sanding wheel I am at a loss Thanks.
scotties22

Re: Bevelling without lathe

Post by scotties22 »

I thought about trying it once with the sanding drum on my dremel, but never got up the nerve to actually do it. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep it even. I hope someone has some good advise for you. Always nice to have knowledge like that in your back pocket...
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

This pipe was done by hand. (ignore the pit)

I made a cardstock gauge (gauge goes from the tobacco chamber then angles out around the bevel) with the angle I wanted, roughed it with a dremel and then sanded it to shape by hand with 80 grit until it was the right angle all the way around (using the gauge to see where the angle was off). Then proceeded down to finer grits until it was done. Took two weeks of evenings... I imagine it'd take 5 seconds on a lathe.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Sandpaper plus handball or racquetball. You, know, the blue rubber ones, smaller than a tennis ball?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It's really easy to do with a Dremel drum sander. Go around it until you get the look you like. It'll be bumpy & lumpy. The take some 120 grit and go around it with your finger until it's all even. Then do the same with 220 and then 400 or 6oo grit. You'll be surprised at how perfectly even it is. Takes about 5 minutes.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I have used a half-round rasp followed by sandpaper on a dowel.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've done it before with a Dremel drum sander. The larger drum works better using 240 grit. It's really not that tough to eyeball it if you just take your time. It only takes a couple minutes like Rad says.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I use a baseball.. because that's what I have at home.. I might try the racketball though.. not having big old sasquatchian hands the baseball just fits in my grip

james
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I don't think I'd try this freehand with a 2 cutter design, but it might be easier to pull off freehand with one of these 4 blade design cutters

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER
buistd

Post by buistd »

Thanks all for the advice. Plenty of food for thought. Might try all of these tactics at some point or other. You're all very clever!