silver caps

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pipeguy

silver caps

Post by pipeguy »

anyone have a way of making silver caps for bowls? thanx
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Re: silver caps

Post by Alan L »

Yes. Hope that helps.

Seriously though, get a copy of "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight, then invest in the jewelry tools needed to pull it off. I do lot of silver work on my pipe tomahawks, not much on ordinary pipes beyond the odd band if I crack a stummel at the mortise.

All you will need for a silver rim cap (as opposed to a wind cap) is some 22 gauge sterling, a jeweler's saw (cheap but steep learning curve, be warned), a propane torch, and some jeweler's silver solder in Medium or Hard grade plus the appropriate flux. Oh, and some sterling round wire to make the nails you'll need to make the cap permanent. That book explains all of this.

This picture shows the silver cap on a hawk handle.

And from the top:

Note that if you want to do that to a pipe I strongly recommend making it open on top, though. :wink: Same technique (make the outside ring, solder it, then lay it on a sheet of silver and solder that on), just cut out the chamber hole when you solder up the box, then file to fit the chamber on the pipe. DO NOT try to drill a large hole in thin silver sheet if you want to keep your fingers.

If you want to do a perforated wind cap that's a bit trickier what with the hinge, but that book will give you the info you need. The skill will take practice...Meathod has done a few nice caps on his pipes, maybe he'll chime in.