Starting Out: Measure and copy?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
McKay

Starting Out: Measure and copy?

Post by McKay »

Up to now, my experience in woodworking has been primarily whittling, with some dremel-ing and sandpaper-ing thrown in. I decided to make a pipe out of some dogwood that I found while walking the other day. After doing some reading, video-watching, forum-joining, and more reading, I decided that I should probably just pick a style, find a good example of that style, and do my best to copy that example.

I decided to try a straight billiard, and found some high-res photos online of a reasonably good example, from what I understand: http://pipelist.com/The_Pipe_List/Dunhi ... _Pipe.html

The dimensions are listed, and to maintain proportions, I will simply scale the dimensions to fit the block that I have ended up with. (.75" chamber width, instead of the original .85", etc.)

I have only the simplest of tools, and virtually no working space, but as this is an idle hobby, time is not really an issue. My only real limitation is my severely limited funds.

Anyway, this is my introduction and my current plan. I welcome any and all advice, if you have some to spare. (Including "Go read previous post on the forum some more", but a specific search term would be appreciated.) I will post photos if requested, although all I currently have are photos of the hideous log and the block that I managed to get out of it.

Thanks for having me here.

McKay
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: Starting Out: Measure and copy?

Post by jogilli »

check this out if you're looking for some measurements...

http://www.danishpipemakers.com/pdf/eltang2000.pdf

james
McKay

Post by McKay »

Those are lovely. I was hoping to try a bent billiard after I get the straight version down. I will compare these measurements to the other one, proportion-wise, and see how well they match.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I think making a billiard is the best possible place to start and I wish I had done it that way. Comparing your work to a great picture would be helpful but it would probably be even more helpful to have one in your hands that way you can look at it from all angles rather than just the ones in the pics. Good luck!
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
McKay

Post by McKay »

I wish I could have the one in the picture to look at, but I may see if I can find one at a flea market or yard sale sometime soon. I agree that having something tangible would be a great asset for this.

Thanks for the advice and luck :)