Facing both ends of the cavalier

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
JonBood

Facing both ends of the cavalier

Post by JonBood »

Hi guys!

I've been thinking about the facing of both ends of the cavalier pipe, with the airway going all the way through that is.
Facing one side (like an ordinary pipe) I have no trouble with doing on lathe or drill press, but I'm puzzle about how to get both ends with a tight shank-stem/plug fit.

One thing that came to my mind is drilling and facing the first one like on an ordinary pipe, then making a larger diameter plug hole in the other end and facing it on the drill press.

What do you guys think, is this a correct way of doing it or should the diameter of the airflow be the same all the way through? As I understood it, the airflow of the shank is the same as the mortice diameter all way through?

Best regards, Jon
Ocelot55

Re: Facing both ends of the cavalier

Post by Ocelot55 »

I've been thinking about this too. I was going to drill the draft hole all the way through first, then use that as kind of a pilot. I think you could drill the draft hole, face it, and drill the mortise, then flip your block around and re chuck it in the lathe. You can use a tapered bit in the tailstock to line up with the pre-existing draft hole and then face that end and drill the mortise for the plug. The same thing could essentially be done with a drill press too.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Drill the airway all the way through, face and drill for mortise on the stem side. Flip the block using the airway as a guide to line up. Face and drill for the mortise. The mortise does not have to be perfectly lined up with the airway on the plug side, certainly get it as close as you can but a little bit here or there is hardly going to be noticed.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Thank you both for the advice!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Agree w/Chris - the airflow considerations are nill on the plug end - it's just a reservoir, so do the stem end with care, and first, and then the plug end. There's all kinds of ways to do it, and once you start you'll find one of 'em.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Thank you for your input! Guess I'll just get on with it then and see what hits me :D
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Good stuff gents. Thanks. I was wondering the same thing.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com