Bulbous Bowl

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
dgerwin11

Bulbous Bowl

Post by dgerwin11 »

A common, almost universal, problem we novices have is making the bottom of the stummel straight from stem to bowl. Assuming a 5/8" stem, that leaves 5/16" below the bottom of the bowl. Some how, I always seem to end up with less than 1/4" when I try to keep it straight. I end up leaving too much on the bottom of the bowl in order to have a 1/4" bottom. I think my biggest problem is trying to shape the stem/shank on a belt sander. Next one I think I''ll shape with files. I don't have a lathe to turn the shank on. I use a jam chuck to turn th top of the bowl.
Ocelot55

Re: Bulbous Bowl

Post by Ocelot55 »

Yup, files. Another trick is actually to angle the draft hole upward a few degrees on a straight shanked pipe. This will give you a little breathing room so you don't get he bottom too thin.

Practice makes perfect. I still don't have that one down too well. I just finished shaping a billiard last night and wasn't to satisfied with the bottom line.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I think files may definitely be a huge help to you. If nothing else, they're slower than a belt sander, and you're less likely to goof up when you go slower.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Yes, power tools can take from "Oh yeah" to "Oh crap" rather quickly.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

with all due respect Sir, What the hell are talking about? pics please.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Like these:ImageImage
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

AH Ha yes I see now Don't use files purchace a lathe you'll be glad you did :D by the way do you have apic of this jam chuck? or is it called somthing else as well?
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

This is it. A 3/4" dowel in a collet chuck. The bowl is 3/4" also. I back it up with a live center.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

dgerwin11 wrote:This is it. A 3/4" dowel in a collet chuck. The bowl is 3/4" also. I back it up with a live center.

That looks a lot like a lathe. :confused:

That aside, a lathe won't help with the issue you are struggling with. Assuming its drilled straight all you need to do is shape it until the bottom of the bowl isn't hanging low. The pipes in the pictures can still be fixed. You just didn't take enough off the bottom.
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

What I should have said is I don't have a chuck to hold it for turning the shanks. If I try to take more off the bottom , the thickness under the chamber will maybe be 1/8". What is a good thickness? I shaped the shanks with a belt sander and took them don too far, barely 1/2" in diameter.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

dgerwin11 wrote:What I should have said is I don't have a chuck to hold it for turning the shanks.
Ah ha!
If I try to take more off the bottom , the thickness under the chamber will maybe be 1/8". What is a good thickness? I shaped the shanks with a belt sander and took them don too far, barely 1/2" in diameter.
How are you measuring that thickness? I suspect you might by off a bit. Unless the photos are fooling me or its drilled strangely, you should have plenty of meat left under the bowl. To answer your question about a good thickness, I'd say 1/4" is a reasonable minimum. I've made them thinner, but only when the design of the pipe forced me to.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Yeah, tools won't impact this; it's just a matter of sanding more off the bottom of the bowl. Assuming your holes line up, the issue isn't the drilling, and it certainly isn't the shank.