Drilling an Oom Paul ?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Heirloom

Drilling an Oom Paul ?

Post by Heirloom »

Oaky, I really have the urge to make an Oom Paul. How on earth does one drill the airway?

I traced a photo of one to try and layout the airway hole and even if drilled from the edge of the mortise to the bowl it looks like it would interesct the rear side of the bowl not the bottom.

Am I missing something?

Tony
Nick

Post by Nick »

Never tried to make one. From what I understand, some makers actually drill the draught hole next to, or along side of the tobacco chamber, and the come through the tabacco chamber wall from the side with a dremel or somthing. Sound pretty hard to me.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:Never tried to make one. From what I understand, some makers actually drill the draught hole next to, or along side of the tobacco chamber, and the come through the tabacco chamber wall from the side with a dremel or somthing. Sound pretty hard to me.
I had to do this on a mis-drilled horn the other day. I went underneath the tobacco chamber in a lay-down style drilling (like a relatively flat horn). I knew the baccy chamber would have to go WAY down before it met the draught hole so I connected the dots with the dremel. It wasn't TOO hard but I had studied my problem for so long that I knew EXACTLY where the draught hole was. Punched through and it looks fine.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Will it pass a pipe cleaner?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Not sure yet... if it doesn't I assume that I'll just have to get in there with the dremel and slope it.
CJM

Re: Drilling an Oom Paul ?

Post by CJM »

Hmm I was hoping to find some advice on this one because I am about attempt my first oom paul. I have done several bent billiards but never anything close to the extremes of an oom paul.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Lemme draw a pic here... wait one, over.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd shoot for something like this -

Very few Oom Paul or Hungarian shapes are actually 90 degree bent - and if you cheat a little it helps a great deal in the drilling.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:I'd shoot for something like this -

Very few Oom Paul or Hungarian shapes are actually 90 degree bent - and if you cheat a little it helps a great deal in the drilling.
Must be a Danish Oom Paul. Sas likes those Danish shapes.
CJM

Post by CJM »

Thanks Sas! I have my head wrapped around it, now to choose the sacrificial piece of briar.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Nate wrote: Must be a Danish Oom Paul. Sas likes those Danish shapes.

It's a rough conceptualization. I move from here to the prototype stage, then build a few mock ups. After some focus groups, the BST leadership quorum will offer some positive-action vision, and then, and only then, we let the pipe-making elf out of his box, and he does his thing.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:
Nate wrote: Must be a Danish Oom Paul. Sas likes those Danish shapes.

It's a rough conceptualization. I move from here to the prototype stage, then build a few mock ups. After some focus groups, the BST leadership quorum will offer some positive-action vision, and then, and only then, we let the pipe-making elf out of his box, and he does his thing.
Ahh...ok. At what stage does the Molson come into play?
ManSkirtBrew

Post by ManSkirtBrew »

Okay, I didn't know what an Oom Paul was, so I asked Google. One of the more interesting images came from this blog. Could be helpful.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This makes me want to send Charl an Oom Paul. :D

He's right - they are difficult and full of compromise, but I'd say that carefully done, they smoke just fine.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

PS all kinds of neat things happen if you shorten or lengthen the shank, build the pipe with the shank closer or farther from the bowl, or change the angle of the stem by a few degrees. In short, experiment with the layout, draw a dozen pipes, and then choose one you think you can drill half way successfully.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Sas sponsored an OomPaul contest on here not all too long ago. There was some good conversations and links re the drilling, might be worth the read: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6720
Traveling Wilbury

Post by Traveling Wilbury »

Check out Meathod's take on the alpine pipe,

http://www.dmpipes.com/pictorial.html

Not sure if it is conventional.... But it's pretty cool
Charl

Post by Charl »

:oops: Ouch!
Terrible pics, mumble-jumble, long time ago, don't take anything I say there too serious!