I have a procedure problem here

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
brownred

I have a procedure problem here

Post by brownred »

I am playing around with making a pipe or 2. I am using a wood lathe. I have ordered several Briar Blocks and some lucite rod stock.
I draw my lines, mount the block into the chuck, turn the shank and drill my draught hole and mortise hole.

Now, I am thinking I want to turn the stem and shank together so they will be the same diameter but if I pull the block out of the chuck to turn the stem rod down and turn the tenon I will never get the block back in the same axis it was to do this.

What is the way to do this?

Hope this makes sense to you all.

Thanks
The Smoking Yeti

Re: I have a procedure problem here

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

As far as I know, you need some digital caliphers- get the dimensions really really close, then bring it down to final dimension with slight shaping tweaks via sandpaper. You wont be 100% precise otherwise- especially with a wood lathe. Even a metal lathe would yield a slight lip.

So yeah, bring 'er close and finish by hand.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Either buy two chucks, or turn the stem first. If you use the same bit every time, you should be able to get really close. If you're struggling to do that, just take a scrap of briar, drill a hole in it as you would a mortise (using the same bit!). Then you'll be able to check snugness on the lathe. After you've turned the tenon, chuck up the block and away you go.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Here's what I do: Drill, turn, and shape the block as much as possible on the lathe. Take the block away. Chuck the rod and turn a tenon to fit the mortise. Slip the mortise onto the tenon. Bring your cutting tool up to where it's going to cut the stem material even with the shank. Just eyeball it. Remove the block, turn the stem material to the approximate same diameter as the shank.

This is assuming that the rod starts out with a larger diameter than your shank.

Hope this helps.

Rad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Generally I do what Rad has said, turn the block then turn the stem using the block as the guide, either eyeballing or using calipers. It never comes out totally flush straight from the lathebut that doesn't matter since I have lots of filing and sanding to do most times anyway.
If I have a specific desing however that calls for a precise stem diameter then I will make the stem first and fit it and turn the 2 together.
brownred

Post by brownred »

Thanks everyone, That was a big help.

Now as soon as I get this this eye fungal infection taken care of from a piece of Briar hitting and cutting my eye and having a chard of Lucite being dug from my cornea this morning (that was missed the first 4 visits) I will get back at it!

Been to the eye Dr. 4 times in 4 days, 3 different drops every hour on the hour and it doesn't seem to be improving. Going back tomorrow morning (Sunday morning) and the Dr. said today, if it isn't better by tomorrow....I'm in big doo doo.

Yes, I know the importants of safety glasses, I work for a Major aircraft manufacturer. For some reason I just had on my regular Glass's when this happened.

Ouch!