drill out the tobacco chamber...?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
flea1

drill out the tobacco chamber...?

Post by flea1 »

Do you feel it is better to cut out the tobacco chamber before or after the pipe has been made?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:I always, without exception, drill out the top portion of the tobacco chamber prior to drilling out the bottom portion.
I think if there are any universal tenets of pipemaking, this should be included among them. I find that this order of operations works equally well for the draft hole :D

Todd
ToddJohnson

Re: drill out the tobacco chamber...?

Post by ToddJohnson »

flea1 wrote:Do you feel it is better to cut out the tobacco chamber before or after the pipe has been made?
Well, I think it's best to shape the pipe before drilling the chamber, but the process isn't an easy one and it requires special tooling. I suppose it also depends on your thoughts about finish, texture, etc. If shape is all you're concerned with--that is shape irrespective of grain--then it matters little which route you take. If, on the other hand, you're attempting to produce a higher percentage of smooth pipes with strong tight grain whose lines follow that grain, then I think drilling after shaping represents a significant advantage.

Best,

Todd
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

On my latest pipe (#3) I did it this way. I faced off the top of the chamber with a forstner bit and then drilled down roughly half way with a 3/4" forstner bit. I then punched down with a ball nose bit using the flex shaft dremel until I hit the draught hole. Then I shaped the remaining bottom of the bowl with various burr bits in my flex shaft. I must say I am very impressed with how it looks. It is by far the best tobacco chamber/draught hole junction as well as the best shaped tobacco chamber that I have made. It did take a little more time, but not as much as I was expecting.

It is probably not as efficient as using reshaped spade bits or spoon bits (which I hope to use one day), but when you don't have these things you have to improvise.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Well over the weekend I was able to chop a limb of applewood, which I plan to make my first pipe with. Have any of you used this type of wood?