Shape first, drill later...

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
The Drinking Yeti

Shape first, drill later...

Post by The Drinking Yeti »

My Brother, the more active Yeti on this site walked me through this process today.
Scary as hell!

Sure looks nice though.
Rev says, "holy shit that is bitchen"
d.huber

Re: Shape first, drill later...

Post by d.huber »

Nah, it's only scary the first time or two. Then it's great, as long as you don't inadvertently change the angle of your chamber. Done that more than once. :?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

The Drinking Yeti wrote:My Brother, the more active Yeti on this site walked me through this process today.
Scary as hell!

Sure looks nice though.
Haven't tried it yet, have seen it done and it looks tough to me. But, then again, so does making a damn stem!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

UberHuberMan wrote:Nah, it's only scary the first time or two. Then it's great, as long as you don't inadvertently change the angle of your chamber. Done that more than once. :?
How did you do that?
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Tyler wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:Nah, it's only scary the first time or two. Then it's great, as long as you don't inadvertently change the angle of your chamber. Done that more than once. :?
How did you do that?
While drilling I'd unintentionally pull or push the stummel laterally, which caused the chamber to be off center on the stummel but still nail the airway. Now when I drill, I take it slow with the spoon bit at first to make sure I'm pushing straight on before really going for it. By taking it slow at first, you can adjust to ensure that the chamber will be centered. I'm getting a lot better at avoiding the issue, but it still happens, if only slightly. I still wind up reshaping a little bit to get things centered. Hopefully after a dozen or so more I'll be able to nail it without so much effort.

-Tyler Beard
andrew

Post by andrew »

I've done the same thing. Doesn't happen much now. Has a LOT to do with how you are gripping the stummel and where you are pushing the stummel (you should not be pushing the stummel much except for minor course correction at the beginning of the bore). I've had better results by not using a pilot hole.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

andrew wrote:I've done the same thing. Doesn't happen much now. Has a LOT to do with how you are gripping the stummel and where you are pushing the stummel (you should not be pushing the stummel much except for minor course correction at the beginning of the bore). I've had better results by not using a pilot hole.
Are you just supporting the stummel with your hand and applying all pressure with the tailstock?

-Tyler Beard
andrew

Post by andrew »

UberHuberMan wrote:
andrew wrote:I've done the same thing. Doesn't happen much now. Has a LOT to do with how you are gripping the stummel and where you are pushing the stummel (you should not be pushing the stummel much except for minor course correction at the beginning of the bore). I've had better results by not using a pilot hole.
Are you just supporting the stummel with your hand and applying all pressure with the tailstock?
I use my teeth :) ... and the tailstock, but mostly my teeth.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

andrew wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
I use my teeth :) ... and the tailstock, but mostly my teeth.
Well that does sound scary. :shock:

I've been using my teeth to shape and supporting the stummel with my left foot while I drill. I knew I was doing something wrong!

-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

I had the alignment issue too, but solved that fairly quickly. Are you guys gluing .25"x.25"x.25" briar blocks to the stummel where the centerlines cross? If not, do this and take an awl or center punch and make an indentation where the lines cross, right where you want it. Make a center to chuck in tail stock (using nail or something like that with a point) and use that in the indentation in the block you glued to the stummel. Instead of sliding the tail stock to start with, use the crank. Also use a center drill and drill where the centerlines cross on the top (what will be the chamber opening). Use pilot drills to begin, this way you can make sure the alignment is correct and adjust if necessary. But, begin the hole using the tail stock crank and be sure to hold the stummel firmly against the 'center' you're using for the pad you glued to the stummel. This will make alignment much easier. Once you get a decent drill depth on each step, you can then just slide the tail stock instead of cranking it if you prefer.

Hope this helps.
andrew

Post by andrew »

You do realize that Ernie "beefcake" Markle finally trademarked that phrase "Hope this helps"? I'm pretty sure Rad has prior rights, so this could get ugly.

Really, I saw the little trademark emblem on this forum or another, not sure which :)
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

andrew wrote:You do realize that Ernie "beefcake" Markle finally trademarked that phrase "Hope this helps"? I'm pretty sure Rad has prior rights, so this could get ugly.

Really, I saw the little trademark emblem on this forum or another, not sure which :)
Ahem, that is my trademark, and while Ernie continues his illegal and unscrupulous use of it, our patent and copyright attorneys are battling it out in court. I am confident I will prevail.

Hope this helps!©

TJ
andrew

Post by andrew »

The pen and the law... two things that will separate friends and pipemakers from their slogans. Just don't let Ernie get in front of a jury, one look at his wavy hair and all the logic in the world will fall flat.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

andrew wrote:The pen and the law... two things that will separate friends and pipemakers from their slogans. Just don't let Ernie get in front of a jury, one look at his wavy hair and all the logic in the world will fall flat.
Yes, when I found out Big Earn was sleeping with the judge--a 73 year old double amputee with braces and a mullet--I asked my attorney to file a motion for recusal.

TJ
Alden

Post by Alden »

Are you guys talking about Awesome Markle ?
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

:lol: thread jacked.
i have been doing freehand drilling on my drill press which is very scary. i normally get a good result but i have slipped and messed up either the stummel or my hand. (i just started doing this) and recommend doing it on the lathe with help from the tailstock, although i dont use it. if youve ever seen rainer barbi drill a stummel on youtube. i do it like that minus the initial spade bit, cuz spade bits are witch craft, unless they are ground down to spoon bits.
hope thi.....never mind
evan
andrew

Post by andrew »

Freehand with spade bits is bad, unless you are trying to remove a chunk of your hand, then its fine. Pipemakers don't let other pipemakers drill freehand with spade bits. If you make mention of this again we'll have an intervention for you and place an interlock device on your drill press :)
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

andrew wrote:Freehand with spade bits is bad, unless you are trying to remove a chunk of your hand, then its fine. Pipemakers don't let other pipemakers drill freehand with spade bits. If you make mention of this again we'll have an intervention for you and place an interlock device on your drill press :)
ahah tell that to rainer. hes a crazy little fella, especially with a spade bit. yes the drill press was stupid but those days are behind me. lathe freehand is so much nicer and safer. and yes i would never try to drill with an unmodified spade bit. i value my appendages!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

andrew wrote:Freehand with spade bits is bad, unless you are trying to remove a chunk of your hand, then its fine. Pipemakers don't let other pipemakers drill freehand with spade bits. If you make mention of this again we'll have an intervention for you and place an interlock device on your drill press :)
The pain this will cause possibly exceeds my adventure with the oscillating drill press and the 2" forstner. KABOOM! Went the block of wood.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

You can drill freehand with a "spade bit," but not a spade bit. By that, I mean you can take something roughly 3/16" thick, shape it down like a spade bit and use it to freehand drill. Many of the Danes did this way back when--Sven Knudsen comes to mind specifically--but don't do it with a modified off-the-shelf spade bit. It's dangerous . . . and I mean really really dangerous.

TJ