Shank diameter and wall thickness vs derlin tenon size?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
brownred

Shank diameter and wall thickness vs derlin tenon size?

Post by brownred »

Was wondering if there was a rule of thumb with tenon size and wall thickness?

I was working on my second pipe last night. I turned and drilled the stummel "shank diameter was .580 and 5/16 mortise" and it looked good. Then I turned the stem to the approx. shank size then drilled and inserted the 5/16 derlin tenon.
Then when I put stummel on the stem to turn stem and shank together to get them the same diameters the shank cracked.

The first pipe was done the exact same way with a shank of .550 and it didn't crack.

Is it safe to assume the second brair was bad and cracked or was I just lucky on the first pipe?

Is there a minimum shank size and shank wall thickness for certain size tenons?

I want to get 1/4 derlin for tenons, do you still use a 5/32 draft hole with a 1/4 tenon?

Thanks
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Shank diameter and wall thickness vs derlin tenon size?

Post by NathanA »

I doubt if the briar was bad if there was no visible flaw. If I am doing the math in my head right the walls of your shank are less than an 1/8 and if your stem is a tight fit breakage is certainly possible. In addition to the 1/4 delrin you can also use the 3/16 stainless steel tubing that is used with bamboo if you want to do really thin shanks.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
d.huber

Re: Shank diameter and wall thickness vs derlin tenon size?

Post by d.huber »

brownred wrote:I want to get 1/4 derlin for tenons, do you still use a 5/32 draft hole with a 1/4 tenon?
Yes.

Hope this helps.

:thumbsup:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard