attaching metal rims

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Ocelot55

attaching metal rims

Post by Ocelot55 »

No not like those on tires.

I just got an antique lot of pipe rims on Ebay. Some brass some nickel. My question is, how do I properly attach them? the sides are too short to put a pin in like Peterson does. I'm thinking about just putting a couple of pins on top. Do I need to use any kind of glue? I figure its going to be exposed to a lot of heat, so glue might not work and I'm always worried about toxicity. Any thoughts?
DMI

Re: attaching metal rims

Post by DMI »

Most of the ones I have come across have been a pressure fit with a resin type glue for backup, if I found one that was pinned on my first thought would be a. it was cheap and nasty and b. that the band didn't fit properly.

David.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I am sure epoxy would hold just fine. Personally I like the look of well laid out pins so I would probably do that as well, even if only for aesthetics.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

So just an update, I attached that metal rim last night using two pins on the top. I pre-drilled a pilot hole into the briar about 3/4 the length of the pin and then used a ball peen hammer to turn them into little rivets. All good in theory. Unfortunatley, my "brass" nails I used to make the pins were really brass plated stainless steel. Very hard SOBs. Add to that the already hard briar and I had hell getting it to work. Finally got the pins more or less flush on the rim, but the rim got some dings in it. (sigh)

Now the question is, do I sell the pipe even with a dinged up rim? I haven't figured that one out yet.