First Pipe Questions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Getzinator

First Pipe Questions

Post by Getzinator »

Hello everyone!
I'm working on my fist pipe kit that my wonderful SWMBO picked up for me this past xmas. I've been at it for a couple months with a Nicholson 4-in-1 file/rasp that I got for about 9 dollars. I'm aiming to get a sanding disc in the future, but for now it's all sanding by hand. Anyway, on to the questions and pictures!

First, I've been aiming to make the width of the chamber wall to be around 1/4". The portion from about 12 o'clock to 3 in the 2nd picture is about a 16th too wide. Should I go at it with the rasp again, or would it be better to play it safe and work it down with sandpaper?

Next, looking at my stem, I'm not sure how to best work that shape into the stummel. If anyone could point me to some examples of things that have been done with this shape and stem, I would really appreciate that. (I can post this in the 'stems' section if it would be better suited for there)

Starting:

As it is now:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: First Pipe Questions

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I have the same 4 in 1 rasp/file and you are much better off using some 60 grit sandpaper. The rasp doesn't really do anything but scratch briar without removing anything. What I do use it for is the bulk removal of ebonite when shaping rod stock so hang onto it.
Getzinator

Post by Getzinator »

Good to know. I've taken the block from start down to what the second pic is with just the rasp. Took me forever!
The coarsest grit I have at the moment is 150, so I'll see if I can pick up rougher stuff soon.
Thanks!

Any thoughts on the shape of the shank?
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

When you get the money, pick up the Nicholson Cabinet rasp #49 and the #50. They'll move some wood, even briar. you'll also want a round or rat tail rasp and file to help you work the transition from shank to bowl.

As far as the stem is concerned I've had no experience with that style. Hang in there someone will be along soon that has. Nice job so far on your first. Are you having fun yet?
Welcome to the forum.
Wallace
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm not familiar with your file/rasp but I would use a medium to fine flat file to work the shape of the bowl at the point you are at. I'd then use a round file to round any flat spots out. After that I'd sand out tool marks and refine the shape with 180 grit followed by 320 then 400.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Getzinator

Post by Getzinator »

Thanks for the advice! I do have a round file that moves a decent amount of briar, but I was wondering if it would be better to use a triangle for the shank/stummel junction? Don't have one and have never used on yet, but thought it might give a cleaner/sharper look. Thoughts?

My current 4-in-1 isn't something special, you probably have much better tools.

Just moved into my first home, so progress is going to be super sluggish for a little while. I'll update when I can.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

I'd stay away from the triangle, too easy to gouge an area you don't want gouged. Also the transition doesn't need to be anywhere near that sharp. If you want a tighter radius, try a chain saw file.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with AlphaDog; a the transition between the shank and bowl shouldn't be that sharp. I don't use a triangle file and don't see where it would be that useful.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

LIL, here.

I've had very little success with those 4-in-1 rasps. They are typically dull out of the package, not to mention uncomfortable to hold. There are good rasps out there, but they're mostly available mail-order. Lee Valley sells a very good line of hand-made rasps in the $30-$40 range, and they are definitely worth the investment if you plan to do much shaping of wood by hand.

Keep working at it with your files and sandpaper. You can use a flat file to continue thinning down the stummel, and you can use coarse sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to shape the transition. (You probably already know that.) A thinner dowel will give you a sharper transition.

It's not looking bad for your first pipe. Keep at it.
- Steve S.
Getzinator

Post by Getzinator »

Great to know about the sand-paper-wrapped-dowel trick. Hadn't occured to me at all, and I think that will help me out greatly when it comes to finishing off the transition!

I currently do have a round file for shaping. Though it's cheap and nowhere near the quality I would buy in the future, it's miles ahead of that 4-in-1 I have.
But what can you expect for something under $10?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100198635? ... =100198635

Celebrating 1 month of being a new home owner today, so I haven't had any time at all to make any progress. (Also no funds to buy more tools/toys)