Badda Bing!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Badda Bing!

Post by Sasquatch »

My blocks came my blocks came my blocks came.

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Badda Bing!

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Which supplier ?
Nate

Post by Nate »

NICE!!!!

I'm jealous. :evil:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Makis Minetos/ACutABoveBriar (Achaiki/Amadeus).

Cleaned a couple up:

Super nice looking stuff. Wet though - this will require significant slow drying time.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Um, I hate to break it to you, but that looks suspiciously like a garbage sack. You sure that's the good stuff ?:)
On the other hand, you just received a load of nice wood, so I'm probably looking at the thread through slightly green tinted glasses :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Garbage sack?

GARBAGE SACK?

Fuck you Andrew, that's a special REAL PIPEMAKER'S MEMBRANE that Tyler sold me for only 50 bucks. Works good too.

You Jelly Babies make me laugh.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Nice looking blocks! I assumed that you could use the amount of dirt and patina on the outside of the blocks to judge that they were aged enough to be ready to work. Is that not the case?
andrew

Post by andrew »

:)
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Yay! Briar!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Charl

Post by Charl »

Whoopee! It's always a big day when the briar comes. :thumbsup:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

How can you tell that these blocks are wet? My experience with briar being relatively limited, I'd love to know how to tell.

-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

They weigh a ton, they feel cool, and I put them in that garbage bag and in 2 hours, the sides of the bag had condensation inside.

When you drill a chamber, there's a little bloom of moisture on almost any block. When you drill a wet block, this bloom is pretty apparent, lasts a while, and if you put your thumb into the fresh hole it will feel like a sauna.

You can cut pipes from this stuff, but the mortise will shrink quite a bit over then next month. So that's another option - cut the stummel and let the wood sit for awhile.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Congratulations Sas, big day. I just placed an order with Vermont Freehand and I can't wait to feel what you're feeling right now.

What size did you order?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

As Sas makes the largest pipes known to man he always orders the largest blocks he can find. Ernie (from what I hear) has a small head and Sas needs as much mass as possible to throw...less likely to miss that way.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

scotties22 wrote:As Sas makes the largest pipes known to man he always orders the largest blocks he can find. Ernie (from what I hear) has a small head and Sas needs as much mass as possible to throw...less likely to miss that way.
LOL I'm going to leave them both alone or they'll team up and start throwing stuff at me.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What I order usually is plateau (or Makis has this weird PLS distinction) pieces 100 mm x 50 mm x 60mm high or bigger.

The mixture of blocks that this yields allows me to make a lot of big bent pipes, a few smaller straight pipes, and select for grain the whole time. That's one reason I like big blocks even for small pipes. It's not problem to get a block big enough for a Canadian, for example, but getting a block where you can do straight grain on the bowl of a Canadian... takes a wide selection.

Smaller blocks are advantage for cost and also sometimes fineness of grain - I would guess that in 50 small blocks you'd find tighter than "average" grain in many of them. One of the reasons I like this vendor is that the blocks are big and the grain is pretty tight on most of them - it's a nice combination for me.

I think you'll be pretty happy with Steve's wood, Alfa. I got some very nice pipes out of the last stuff I had from him. My only complaint with the Algerian stuff (other than the business side) was that a lot of the blocks were sort of short and wide, and that's awesome for some things, but the big long curved shank pipes I like to to don't fit in em sometimes.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

For the sake of disseminating information, TJ posted a tip on another forum that I assume was serious and here it is:

Put a loaf of bread into the bag and change out the loaf every week or so.

I think that's about right. Just thought that'd be useful in this arena.

-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's just Todd's recipe for magic green bread.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Yeah, that sounds like. Recipe for moldy bread to me.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Sasquatch wrote:They weigh a ton, they feel cool, and I put them in that garbage bag and in 2 hours, the sides of the bag had condensation inside.

When you drill a chamber, there's a little bloom of moisture on almost any block. When you drill a wet block, this bloom is pretty apparent, lasts a while, and if you put your thumb into the fresh hole it will feel like a sauna.

You can cut pipes from this stuff, but the mortise will shrink quite a bit over then next month. So that's another option - cut the stummel and let the wood sit for awhile.
My uncle owns a sawmill and he tells the bowl turners that buy from him to bury the blocks in sawdust and that will quickly dry them without cracking or splitting. But he doesn't deal in briar so it may be different.