Badda Bing!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Re: Badda Bing!

Post by Sasquatch »

I've cut stummels out of wet stuff and let it dry in a similar manner. I was told rice works well too.

There's enough tension in a quickly dried block to wreck it though. I had a block crack on arrival a few months ago, and I tried to cut the crack out and the thing just exploded on the saw - cracked all over the place in all kinds of directions as I cut into it. So I'm none too eager to rush this. I have tons of wood, and if these blocks just live in a bag under my workbench for a year.... it's fine with me. That's the point actually. This time.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

That's how you suck excess moisture from wood and throw it away. Sawdust works fine for something with a lot of mass, and a lot of end grain, but you'll be better served with a loaf of French bread in your garbage sack in this scenario.

TJ

P.S. If you want to make moldy bread for other purposes, this is, indeed, a good way to do it. My recommendation, however, is to throw it away once it sucks up the moisture. You Europeans could probably do something else with it culinarily, though.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just throw the moisture away?? How typically American. The fastest and most wasteful solution. The bread should be shipped to 3rd world countries (or Idaho) and wrung out.

On the other hand my wife would probably fight the mice for mouldy bread to go with her disgusting mouldy cheese.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!