Bowl Offcenter from Stummel Walls

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
brurobas

Bowl Offcenter from Stummel Walls

Post by brurobas »

Good morning,

Well, i always heard the expression, "You Live and You Learn".

Last friday i started working on a new pipe. I drilled and turned the shank on my lathe and i also drilled the tobacco chamber. I then had to stop working on the pipe and yesterday when i went to shape the bowl i noticed that the tobacco chamber was not centered with the bowl walls. It was more or less 3 mms to one side.

The only reason i can think for this was that between friday and sunday the wood somehow expanded in the chuck or changed position naturally, is this correct?

I hope i managed to explain myself :oops:

Regards,

Bruno
Sasquatch

Re: Bowl Offcenter from Stummel Walls

Post by Sasquatch »

Somehow it changed position whe you were getting it from square to round. If the block wasn't quite square or if the jaws slipped a bit it can happen. Leave it on the lathe, cut the tobacco chamber again, just shave it, with a parting tool or something.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Thank you Sas!

Yeah, something must have happened...

It was the first time i ever had this problem so i thought it could be the result of the natural properties of the wood because:

- I finished turning the shank, right after drilling the air hole
- Loosened the jaws a bit and due to the block being secured by the jaw centering pins i rotated it so i could drill the tobacco chamber and turn the bowl
- When i finished drilling the tobacco chamber the air hole was perfectly centered in the bottom of the tobacco chamber

If the block had been misplaced in the jaws shouldn't the air hole appear off centered in the bottom of the tobacco chamber those 3 mms as well?

The off center of the tobacco chamber regarding the bowl walls only happened 3 days later when i came back to turn the bowl.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

So to me that means that it was probably fine until you shaped the bowl, and you knocked it off line then.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

For this reason, I recommend turning THEN drilling.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That happens to me sometimes on my wood lathe because it doesn't drill very accurately. I use a round nose scraper to true up the tobacco chamber after turning the bowl.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tyler wrote:For this reason, I recommend turning THEN drilling.
Yes, always! If necessary, you can always go in with a boring bar and adjust the chamber that way.

TJ