Rough shaping by hand

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
omar_colocci

Rough shaping by hand

Post by omar_colocci »

Hi guys!

Since I have no band saw at home (yet! hehehe), I've been thinking of making the first rough shaping with a cop saw, before the files/Dremel. Does it do the job? What kind of saw you suggest?
Regards,

Omar Colocci
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Just like the old days.
DId that when I first started.. Bought my first band saw not long after.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Until I got a band saw, I never used a saw of any kind. I did all the rough shaping using a belt grinder. I purchased a 3M filter mask after the first time I did that.

Briar dust can *hurt* your nose.... :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

I use a coping saw and a hacksaw. I typically prefer the hacksaw as the blade does not flex as much as the coping saw, and it is easier to cut a straight line through the briar without as much wandering.

A couple of points. This is not nearly as accurate as using a band saw, and I leave plenty of room for error. Naturally, I have to sand and file a lot more than if I had a band saw, but it works.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

If you are going to be sawing by hand you might consider Japanese saws.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... ncy=1&SID=

They are not exactly cheap but I think they would be better than a hack saw.
marks

Post by marks »

Actually, the frame on the hacksaw I've got is much more rigid than the cheap hacksaws, and with a reasonably fresh blade, it goes through briar pretty well. Your point is well taken, though, there are probably better options if one is hand sawing briar.

If I ever sell a couple of pipes, a bandsaw is high on my list of things to acquire. :)
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

I have a hacksaw and I also have a great backsaw. I must admit I handle the backsaw better, maybe because the frame of my hacksaw is too old and not working anymore and I should get a new one, but I simply can't get cuts straight.

All hacksaws I've dealt with were VERY strong and I really have never seen ANY kind of wood affecting the frame or the blade, since I've sawed Brazilian Macaranduba, that one of the hardest woods in the country and it only took longer (waaaaaaay longer :roll: ).

Well, that's it. My kit and stains have arrived at the house of my wife's friend and she will ship it to Brazil soon I hope. May I still have the time for a second order. :D
Regards,

Omar Colocci