Cutting oval chamber for vestpocket pipe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Gershom

Cutting oval chamber for vestpocket pipe

Post by Gershom »

HOW? Looked on the forum but couldn't find an example... Do you just move the block in the jaws?

thanks.
wisemanpipes

Re: Cutting oval chamber for vestpocket pipe

Post by wisemanpipes »

milling machine?
Charl

Post by Charl »

or dremel?
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Has anyone here ever made one?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I made one a long time ago but I did not put an oval bowl in it.
I would think there will be a lot of hand work involved without the use of a milling machine which would make real quick work of it with a ball nose cutter.
You can double bore the block then clean out the web between bores with Dremel/flex shaft. A variation would be to double bore in the shape of a "V" to make it oval at the top and narrower at the bottom. A lot of all this depends on how big of an oval you are trying to achieve.
I can see some possible issues in drilling depending on how far apart the bore center-lines are. If they are fairly close together there is going to be a tendency for the bit to want to walk because it is not surrounded by enough material. One could do the majority of the work with a Forstner bit since they cut on the rim but there still might be some walking problems and then there is the manual clean up work at the bottom. I would not try to mill with a drill press and an X-Y table unless it is a mill/drill machine. Drill press bearings are not designed for radial loads.
Chas.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

I have no clue on how it is done on pipes, but in a turkey box call the long oval is done with Forstner bits and the walls are cleaned up with chisels. It should work the same on an oval in a pipe bowl. Drill 2 overlapping holes, and chisel out the side wall. As to the bottom of the bowl, I would use a round burr in a Foredom handle to shape it.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

dogcatcher wrote:I have no clue on how it is done on pipes, but in a turkey box call the long oval is done with Forstner bits and the walls are cleaned up with chisels. It should work the same on an oval in a pipe bowl. Drill 2 overlapping holes, and chisel out the side wall. As to the bottom of the bowl, I would use a round burr in a Foredom handle to shape it.
I do the same thing in making the magazine well opening on gunstocks. drill overlapping holes with forstner and then chisels. On drilling where you're not ging all the way through, use forstners with the tip ground off. Clean up the bottom with scrapers. Here is a scraper that will get down in there, or if you're handy you can make one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949428 ... -1-x-11-16
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Why would anyone want to do this?

Hope this helps.

Rad
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

RadDavis wrote:Why would anyone want to do this?

Hope this helps.

Rad
Because opera pipes are classy as shit.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

SchmidtN wrote:
RadDavis wrote:Why would anyone want to do this?

Hope this helps.

Rad
Because opera pipes are classy as shit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: