My Joy has been made complete

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
The Smoking Yeti

My Joy has been made complete

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Just got an order of Mimmo Briar today- down right beautiful wood.

Some of it is stored away, some of the dry stuff is on my rack.

The way he cuts briar makes pipemaking easy!

My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wisemanpipes

Re: My Joy has been made complete

Post by wisemanpipes »

hey yeti,

did you get his regular like 20 or 30 block order. or did you get a custom order of what you wanted.
if so how much did it cost ya. i got referred to a cut above by sas and they had good stuff for reasonable prices but id like to pursue my options more.

-evan
The Smoking Yeti

wisemanpipes wrote:hey yeti,

did you get his regular like 20 or 30 block order. or did you get a custom order of what you wanted.
if so how much did it cost ya. i got referred to a cut above by sas and they had good stuff for reasonable prices but id like to pursue my options more.

-evan
I did the custom order option.

A cut above has great briar for sure, and the price is fair. It just isn't to my personal taste I decided, there were too many blocks that I couldn't make into anything but a rusticated piece. That being said though- there were some AMAZING straight grained blocks in the bunch. The price is pretty good for sure, but Mimmo works better for me, because I'm trying to do more mid-high grade smooth pieces, and I was getting frustrated with a cut above.

Mimmo's prices are significantly higher than Makis, that's for sure, but the grain is all exquisite. If you're interested in Mimmo's custom order prices, just email him and he'll send you a pdf price chart.

As is though, if you aren't too worried about perfect straight grain, work with Makis' wood, it's pretty dandy stuff.

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Once you've used Mimmo, you'll forget other briar suppliers exist. I got my first order a few months ago I haven't had a bad block yet! Congrats.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

when i get to the level where if it isnt a perfect straight grain, highend pipe everytime im dissapointed, then i will definitly give mimmo a large chunk of my income for a good order. thanks both for your 2 cents. money is my biggest issue. if i can get 20 blocks for the same price i get 6 or 8, i go with 20. im sure within the year ill go more quality over quantity, but for now samantha is my main supplier. cheaper, decent to very good quality and fast shipping
thanks guys

-evan
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Nice blocks! " thank you for buy ". Worth the extra shipping right there.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wisemanpipes wrote:when i get to the level where if it isnt a perfect straight grain, highend pipe everytime im dissapointed, then i will definitly give mimmo a large chunk of my income for a good order. thanks both for your 2 cents. money is my biggest issue. if i can get 20 blocks for the same price i get 6 or 8, i go with 20. im sure within the year ill go more quality over quantity, but for now samantha is my main supplier. cheaper, decent to very good quality and fast shipping
thanks guys

-evan
Good strategy for now. Hell I'm almost worried every time I pick up a piece of Mimmo's briar. I really don't want to screw it up!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There's a sliding scale of value on blocks from almost anyone you buy from. Some vendors are disproportionately tilted either by poor cutting or poor blocks, but mostly I've found that I got pretty well what I paid for. The question is more how much time do you waste before discovering a block is no good or how many pipes do you make hoping for a smooth, and if you are selling pipes that are pricey, putting a lot of time into them, then all of a sudden having material failures really starts to add up.

Mimmo's x-ray vision and the absolute uniformity of his curing is what pros are willing to pay for. Hobbyists probably won't find the benefits as beneficial. Er.

Those are great looking blocks. Have fun!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Sasquatch wrote:There's a sliding scale of value on blocks from almost anyone you buy from. Some vendors are disproportionately tilted either by poor cutting or poor blocks, but mostly I've found that I got pretty well what I paid for. The question is more how much time do you waste before discovering a block is no good or how many pipes do you make hoping for a smooth, and if you are selling pipes that are pricey, putting a lot of time into them, then all of a sudden having material failures really starts to add up.

Mimmo's x-ray vision and the absolute uniformity of his curing is what pros are willing to pay for. Hobbyists probably won't find the benefits as beneficial. Er.

Those are great looking blocks. Have fun!
What Sas said!

I think A Cut Above is a great briar source- very affordable, good briar, good service. I'm just starting to want Mimmos' x-ray vision.

AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Beautiful briar. Congratulations. I am proud for you. I'm sure you've been grinning like a possum eating persimmons.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Tooootally jealous. Those look sweet!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The place where I get my hair cut is called A Cut Above.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:The place where I get my hair cut is called A Cut Above.
Didn't know they sold briar, didja?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

i was wondering why there were hair scraps in the bottom of the ups box. huh who knew? :?
Growley

Post by Growley »

Congrats. Nice order. I've had three orders from Mimmo so far. He is my hero. :thumbsup: