An ad hoc Experiment in Lines: EPIC FAIL

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Ocelot55

An ad hoc Experiment in Lines: EPIC FAIL

Post by Ocelot55 »

So In my attempt to create a Dublin suitable enough to enter the Kansas City carving contest I have been making a lot of Dublins. I thought this block would be the one, an absolutely beautiful piece of briar from Mimmo that was just screaming to be a Dublin.

Well as soon as I cut into it several large flaws were revealed. The previous day I had to discard a pipe because I found a flaw entering the draft hole from the shank (5 hours of wasted labor to discover that), so the appearance of these flaws flustered me quite a bit. I decided to try and make lemonade out of lemons and began shaping the pipe and chasing the flaws.

I couldn't get all of them out, so I decided to partially rusticate the area with the remaining flaw. In an attempt to frame the rustication I began to carve some lines and curves into the pipe to set aside that area for rustication. Long story short, I should have thought a bit more about how the lines were going to play into the composition rather than attack the briar like a monkey with a file.

Here are a couple photos as it stands. I'm not sure if I want to just go ahead and finish it out or try to correct those lines. Comments?

pipedreamer

Re: An ad hoc Experiment in Lines: EPIC FAIL

Post by pipedreamer »

can you repeat on front the same ridge. Then it would appear the bowl, proper is held. I Would'nt throw it away you will figure it out. It's obvious you have talent up the wazoo. Look at it as an exercise. I feel the frustration, I've been there.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Not sure what it does on the other side - can you use that line as a break between smooth and blast? Also, be sure to thin the ebonite between briar and adornment out considerably. Nice pipe.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

nice pipe jesse. to bad about the flaw. like ernie said, can you blast the shank half of the line and keep the bowl smooth. more pictures are in order to see the other side.
-evan
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

e Markle wrote:Not sure what it does on the other side - can you use that line as a break between smooth and blast? Also, be sure to thin the ebonite between briar and adornment out considerably. Nice pipe.
The other side is roughly symmetrical. I just don't like how the ridge around the bowl and the continuous line from stem to shank meet. It looks sloppy and the flow is interrupted. I do plan on rusticating everything separated off from the rest of the pipe and leave the bowl and bottom smooth.

Ernie, are you referring to the sliver of ebonite between the zebrawood and the stummel? It always looks thinner when I slice it off the rod stock. :lol:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Ocelot55 wrote: I just don't like how the ridge around the bowl and the continuous line from stem to shank meet. It looks sloppy and the flow is interrupted. I do plan on rusticating everything separated off from the rest of the pipe and leave the bowl and bottom smooth.
Yeah, generally when makers execute this ridge, it sits right in the shank/bowl junction. Perhaps if you took some meat off the back of the bowl so that top part looked like a wrap...? Also, that pipe is too nice for rustication; I would go out of my way to blast it.
Ocelot55 wrote:Ernie, are you referring to the sliver of ebonite between the zebrawood and the stummel? It always looks thinner when I slice it off the rod stock. :lol:
I hear ya. I would throw that on a pin gauge, and knock some off. You'll have to reshape a touch, but it will be more elegant. Just my opinion. :)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Ocelot55 wrote: I just don't like how the ridge around the bowl and the continuous line from stem to shank meet. It looks sloppy and the flow is interrupted. I do plan on rusticating everything separated off from the rest of the pipe and leave the bowl and bottom smooth.
Yeah, generally when makers execute this ridge, it sits right in the shank/bowl junction. Perhaps if you took some meat off the back of the bowl so that top part looked like a wrap...? Also, that pipe is too nice for rustication; I would go out of my way to blast it.
Ocelot55 wrote:Ernie, are you referring to the sliver of ebonite between the zebrawood and the stummel? It always looks thinner when I slice it off the rod stock. :lol:
I hear ya. I would throw that on a pin gauge, and knock some off. You'll have to reshape a touch, but it will be more elegant. Just my opinion. :)
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

e Markle wrote:Yeah, generally when makers execute this ridge, it sits right in the shank/bowl junction. Perhaps if you took some meat off the back of the bowl so that top part looked like a wrap...? Also, that pipe is too nice for rustication; I would go out of my way to blast it.
I might play with the lines a little bit.

I agree with that it would look pretty sweet partially blasted, but since I have to outsource all my blasting, rustication, unfortunately, will have to do.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

jesse... then outsource it.. the pipe is super nice...and as a beginner the rustification will only detract from its presentation... I think you've carved a super nice pipe, but listen to ernie...

personally I like rusticated pipe.. and I rusticate mine due to the lack of a sand blaster (close at hand), BUT if you're going to enter it into a pipe contest... got that little extra .. I do when a customer asks.. it's all part of it...

james
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55 wrote:...attack the briar like a monkey with a file.
But... but... I thought that was Rad's secret method. Now I'm confused.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I agree with Ernie. I'd go out of my way to blast it.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well at the behest of many of you, I blasted the pipe. I tried to correct those lines the best I could and I think I made a decent attempt. Let me know what you guys think.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I really like it Jesse. I think you should make another and play with the ridge at the back of the bowl a bit. The blast plays very well with the plateaux. I think the stem needs just a leetle beet of a bend, though. It throws off the eye being straight.

You bringing it to the show?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

scotties22 wrote:I really like it Jesse. I think you should make another and play with the ridge at the back of the bowl a bit. The blast plays very well with the plateaux. I think the stem needs just a leetle beet of a bend, though. It throws off the eye being straight.

You bringing it to the show?

It'll be there. The cool thing about this one is that it is a sitter! I know I got the basics right on this one, but it's the details that are killing me!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I think it would flow better with a slight bend in the stem.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I LIKE it! :thumbsup:
rdpipes.briar.club
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

nice save.. but as mentioned.. bent the stem some..

james
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Lookin' good! Why doesn't the stem match up with the shank face anymore?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Good save indeed- details are always toughest- go figure. I think one I notice straight away is the tape line right before the stem isn't very even looking.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/