Bent Rhodesians on a lathe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Gainey Pipes

Bent Rhodesians on a lathe

Post by Gainey Pipes »

Hey guys, i have a question regarding turning bent Rhodesians on the lathe. When I make a bent Rhodesian I purposefully design it do that the shank won't get in the way of me being able to turn the top of the bowl and cut the Rings. I've seen a lot of pipes where the shank extends well above the Rings. Is there a trick to doing that on a lathe, or does that require the Rings and top portion of the bowl to be shaped by hand?

If anyone could shed some light here I'd be thankful.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Ocelot55

Re: Bent Rhodesians on a lathe

Post by Ocelot55 »

I've seen a modified Allen wrench as a cutting bit to get to those tricky rings. Never done it myself, but it's a place to start.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

You have to make a tool to do the rings. I used a long handled Allen wrench like Jessie mentions. You have to ground down the short end of the wrench and put a cutting edge on it. I hold mine using vise grips and approach the bowl head on from the tailstock end of the lathe. It works very well.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

wdteipen wrote:You have to make a tool to do the rings. I used a long handled Allen wrench like Jessie mentions. You have to ground down the short end of the wrench and put a cutting edge on it. I hold mine using vise grips and approach the bowl head on from the tailstock end of the lathe. It works very well.
I do more or less the same thing.

andrew
Charl

Post by Charl »

Kurt's trick, as far as I remember. Works well!