New Pipe Kits

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
swilly

New Pipe Kits

Post by swilly »

I just received three pipe kits from Mark Tinsky. Praise for Mark is probably not a surprising thing, especially on this forum, but I want to say that despite ordering three normal ebauchon kits, Mark went ahead and gave me three small plateaux kits that he sets aside for small projects such as mine. This is both a blessing and a curse, because I DO see the excellent grain, but I'm also now a bit more afraid to make errors! I know I won't know until I try. The two flat-topped kits are intended for prince shapes, and the third for a small billiard. Go Mark! I will post up my progress once I begin.

sandahlpipe

Re: New Pipe Kits

Post by sandahlpipe »

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Yeah he's a good guy. I recently got a variety of blocks from him. It was able to fit them all in one box so I would save the extra shipping. Those look good can't wait to see what you do

Sent from my banana phone.
swilly

Post by swilly »

Hey all,

I've been working on it these past two days on and off, and here are the results of my work thus far.

This is what I'm hoping to go for. What do you guys think?

I know that a classic English Billiard will have slightly rounded qualities, but perhaps I'm still at too rough a stage to receive any very useful critique. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!
swilly

Post by swilly »

Ah, I guess the question is, should I resort to filing at this point? Or do you think I could give it a couple more go's on the disc sander?

And I'm using the disc sander on something like this

http://www.homewoodltd.co.uk/images/Cha ... sander.jpg

so I don't have nearly as much freedom as one would have with a completely open disc.

Thanks again.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Chainsaw file and sandpaper at this stage. You need to learn how to take off material slowly before you can take it off quickly. You'll ruin less briar that way.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Yeah. Nice files will work quickly as will nice sharp sandpaper. You can grind safe edges on flat files to get the shank. Also, a rough nail board (like the one you get in the manicure section of Walmart) works nicely once you get closer to the shape you want.

---

Jeremiah Sandahl
swilly

Post by swilly »

Great! I will do just that.

Thanks again.
swilly

Post by swilly »

Hello Everyone,

I've gotten fairly far with files and rasps, so thank you for the suggestion! I have below some more photos of my billiard so far. Any critiques about shaping and whatnot are welcome! I went back home an looked at my other billiards, and they are all much trimmer, so I at least have a general idea to trim things down a bit. Also, should I bother keeping the plateau? I'm getting the impression that if I DO plan on slimming it down, keeping the plateau top would mean a billiard that is too tall to keep in line with classic proportions.

Thanks again!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Take some meat off the shank all the way around to make the shank a little straighter. Your bowl is actually fine with the plateaux, so it's a matter of taste whether you keep it or smooth out the rim.

---

Jeremiah Sandahl
swilly

Post by swilly »

Thanks for the advice Sandahl, I did just that and it looks significantly better. I also went ahead and got rid of the plateau because it really wasn't calling out to me. I sanded it down with 180 grit sandpaper yesterday after filing a thinner button on the mouthpiece, but then I realized that I could probably get rid of a bit of meat on the backside of the bowl where it meets the shank. Looking at the photo, it almost looks like some failure of a canted zulu... maybe I had too much arching transition in the heel? As always, I greatly welcome critiques and opinions. Thanks!

I've also gotten a start on my prince. I'm trying to model it off a Barling Prince, but who knows where I'll end up XD

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Looks better! The bowl curves out about 2mm too far towards the shank. If you take the crease in more toward the bowl, the shape will look more billiardy. Also, the rim angles up in the front. Take a few mm off the top only on the side of the bowl opposite the shank so the bowl tilts forward and I think you'll have a winner.

Keep up the good work!

---

Jeremiah Sandahl
swilly

Post by swilly »

Ah, yes, I can see how the rim is canted a bit backwards. It still surprises me that such minute adjustments can make a world of difference. I'll get right on fixing both this afternoon.

Thanks again!
Charl

Post by Charl »

No worries, the next ones will be better!
swilly

Post by swilly »

Here's what I think will be the final shaping for my billiard. I shaved off the backwards cant and some more material on the shank. What do you all think?

Also, I've been shaping my prince more, and I'm quite happy with how it's turning out. Just several hours ago it looked like overweight royalty, any suggestions? Of course, I'll b working on the bend after I'm done with the shaping.

Thanks again!
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

In my eyes the bowl on your prince is just touch too big for the shank and stem.
I think the shape looks really good, well rounded, nice and even, very symmetrical, just a bit too big.

Cheers,
Jeremy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
swilly

Post by swilly »

Thanks Seamonster! Yeah, I went back to thin things out to make it daintier. Just used my zippo to heat the stem for the bend. This is what it looks like. I'm pretty certain that I'm done with shaping, so all that's left is some sanding with some 80 grit to remove the gouges I left from filing/rasping, smoothing it to 120, and then 160, and off to the bench it goes. Unfortunately, I currently don't have a set up for staining/buffing/finishing (which is a whole 'nother battle), so I plan on moving to the five new pipe kits from Mark Tinsky. I figure that I'll just work on shaping for now. Thanks for the advice and critiques so far! This site is truly a great resource.

Best,
Alex
Charl

Post by Charl »

Not too bad for a start! Enjoy
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

You are showing some really good progress there! keep up the good work :)
MmmPeace

Post by MmmPeace »

Any chance of some photos of the finished products? I know this is a very old post but I'd love to see the finished pipes!