How does Maigurs do it?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
LatakiaLover

Re: How does Maigurs do it?

Post by LatakiaLover »

scotties22 wrote:George, I will be over this afternoon with Heath's truck to take all your devil tools off your hands. We all know you specialize in HAND MADE stems and therefore use NO machinery at all in the course of your work. :lol: :takethat:
You think you're so smart. Ha.

I went down to the courthouse and had my middle name legally changed to Hand years ago.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
scotties22 wrote:George, I will be over this afternoon with Heath's truck to take all your devil tools off your hands. We all know you specialize in HAND MADE stems and therefore use NO machinery at all in the course of your work. :lol: :takethat:
You think you're so smart. Ha.

I went down to the courthouse and had my middle name legally changed to Hand years ago.
tou·ché, sir.....tou·ché
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:I gnawed my first pipe with my teeth.
How, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.

Instead of "hand made," what we ought to be aspiring to is mouth made.

Get as far away from machine-made crap as possible. It's the only way to be a TRUE artist.

I bet that pipe brought a cool $250K on ebay, too, didn't it, Red? Collectors know their stuff, and recognize what matters and what doesn't straight away. There's no foolin' 'em when it comes to pipe pricing, and the method used to create it is the most important of all.

btw --- did you have flute music playing in the background while you chewed?
Yes, it got rave reviews especially inre the delicate placement of the rustication. Boring the chamber and airway was a bitch tho, the termites almost gave out on me. Nasty little bastards to try to train. The briar was at least 400 years old and so frigging hard my cat couldn't scratch it (hence my permanent liquid diet).
Oh yes, there was flute music. My granddaughter is the second coming of Zamfir.
Alas, the Eco-Briar was a one shot deal. I have no teeth and am too weak to fart, the termites quit on me and my flautist granddaughter ran off with Ian Anderson. If I ever get my strength back I guess I'll have to resort to those nasty-ass tools and machines.
So goes the world, first Obama Care and now the demise of the Uber-Green Eco-Briar.
Chas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote: Alas, the Eco-Briar was a one shot deal.
Yeah, but that $250K made it all worth it, right?

Wait a minute... that's probably what you spent on dentist bills alone. :lol:

I guess you'll have to be satisfied by the memory of having been a True Artist that one glorious, short-lived moment, and let it go, then. And start buying evil ma-sheens like the rest of us lowly tradesmen.

At least now you can throw your Zamfir tapes in the fireplace, so some good came of it.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

oklahoma red wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:Also, making a cone shaped facing cut can achieve a similar result- you just play with the axis you're cutting it on- it works best in a 2jaw chuck.
Granted. But, inquiring minds want to know: how do you make the mirror image concave cut that perfectly fits the convex cut you just made on the lathe? Unless of course your intent was solely to put a contoured surface on the end of the shank without making a mating piece.
This entire exercise is very simple to achieve but unfortunately is not available to probably 99.9% of pipe makers: CNC mill with a ball nose cutter. This process can be utilized to make all sorts of fancy interlocking joints. My bet is that this is how Maigurs did what he did.
Matching router bits could work but how does one hold the blocks while utilizing the router bits? Those things have to be spun at some serious rpm to be effective. Takes you back to at least a manual milling machine. Oh yeah, you paid how much for that matching set of custom router bits?? Or, it took you how many hours to grind that perfectly matching set of cutters on your bench grinder??
NC is the only way to fly in my bookIF the equipment is available without having to pay a machine shop a small fortune to do it for you.
There is a lot of value-added because of the uniqueness of the finished product and the fact it was achieved without hours and hours of laborious hand work.
Now, if anyone has a practical alternative to achieving a contoured joint, we are all ears.
Chas.
Put the reverse mating piece on a pin gauge and cut with the same cone angle- it creates the perfect reverse fit. Simple.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Put the reverse mating piece on a pin gauge and cut with the same cone angle- it creates the perfect reverse fit. Simple.
You are certainly correct IF you are cutting a straight sided cone whose angle is easily duplicated. Now let's say you've rounded off the end of the shank in a manner that duplicates a segment of a sphere. And you did it by manipulating the X and Y axes of the carriage by the so called "etch-a-sketch" method. Is your muscle memory good enough to exactly duplicate the cut for the concave mating piece? If you can, BRAVO!
Now let's make it really interesting and make the joint a compound curve or better yet make the curved segment off-axis.
Chas.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I'd explain if I could, but it's best done in person.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I'd explain if I could, but it's best done in person.
Yeah, Red is a bit, um... well, you know, not all that quick on the uptake when it comes to technical stuff.

Also, he deals with DoD a lot, so you have to put explanations into a form he's familiar with.

Like so:

"Use a half inch drill bit for that hole"

Becomes this when phrased in governmentese:

"Quickly grow market-driven models by competently transforming virtual systems into hidden potentialities which embrace dramatically repurposed and empowered meta-services. The enthusiastic reconceptualization of scalable quality vectors will quickly coordinate mission-critical convergences and emphasize uniquely predominate team building accomplishments."

See?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Scalable quality vectors make me SO horny.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sasquatch wrote:Scalable quality vectors make me SO horny.

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:Scalable quality vectors make me SO horny.
You'll like this, then: :lol:

http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's good for naming your homebrews too!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

oklahoma red wrote:You are certainly correct IF you are cutting a straight sided cone whose angle is easily duplicated. Now let's say you've rounded off the end of the shank in a manner that duplicates a segment of a sphere. And you did it by manipulating the X and Y axes of the carriage by the so called "etch-a-sketch" method. Is your muscle memory good enough to exactly duplicate the cut for the concave mating piece? If you can, BRAVO!
Now let's make it really interesting and make the joint a compound curve or better yet make the curved segment off-axis.
Chas.
I don't think there's really need to make the joint a compound curve to get a nice visual effect. It may be possible, either by being a badass at lathe tricks (see very old french pipes, they had lathe turning and joining techniques that would blow your mind, and they did those things 150 years ago when cnc wasn't really easily accessible ;) ), or with cnc milling, but you can make very interesting joints with the technique Yeti explained.
Imagine this: both sides of the joint are just straight lines cut at an angle by setting your compound. If you make a round shank it will look normal, if you make it diamond shaped or oval the transition will show a nice angled or flowing shape. If you shape the shank irregularly the joint will also be in some way irregular, making for an interesting transition.

Red, now it's your turn to figure out how to do it with an S shaped convex and off-axis joint ;)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Red, now it's your turn to figure out how to do it with an S shaped convex and off-axis joint ;)
I welcome your input Wojtek. It's easy, just fire up the CNC mill :lol: Or, as some of my Navy SEAL acquaintances used to say "there is no problem which cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives".
Let's look at it another way. No pre-shaping of the stem (or anything for that matter). A surface of a briar block is treated in some manner to form what will be the first mold line. Now, in an entirely separate operation a contrasting block of material (ebonite, acrylic etc.) is prepared and one surface has the identical mold line as the briar so that the two will mate together perfectly. Keep in mind that the mold line is contoured, not straight. Glue the two together. Now, by whatever means available, the exposed end of the contrasting material is altered in such a manner as to follow the first mold line leaving a uniform insert/inlay that is say .156 thick. Again in a separate operation another block of briar has one surface prepared that will in turn perfectly mate to the insert material. Glue'em together and now make your pipe with whatever method you prefer and with whatever stem cross section you prefer. The methods employed to generate the contoured mold lines are whatever floats your boat.
Please note that the above statements were produced with the B.S. generator from George's link. Also George, note that I carefully avoided using the word "machined" and instead used the verbs "shaping", "treated", "prepared", "altered", "make" and "generate".
Perhaps George is right and I have been dealing with the DoD for too many years.
Oh well, TGIF!!!!!!!!!!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

What about this. Ebonite is very flexible when heated. Make the cut into a chunk of briar. The two briar bits are the same now exact curve. Heat the ebonite slice and clamp together. Glue up on the lathe, let it dry overnight, and start turning. The briar may need a slight sanding, but once it is sanded the epoxy should take up any slight difference. seems much easier, although not nearly as precise.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I cut this on my crappy $100 band saw, stuck some adhesive backed 220 grit to one side of the cut and sanded the cuts against each other for about 20 seconds. switch the sandpaper to the other half and repeat. If i had some of steve's sheet ebonite left i would have glued it up and tried the fit. If you spent the time to sand better and used a smaller chunk of briar(like the shank instead of an entire bowl) it should turn out pretty clean. Image
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Solomon_pipes wrote:What about this. Ebonite is very flexible when heated. Make the cut into a chunk of briar. The two briar bits are the same now exact curve. Heat the ebonite slice and clamp together. Glue up on the lathe, let it dry overnight, and start turning. The briar may need a slight sanding, but once it is sanded the epoxy should take up any slight difference. seems much easier, although not nearly as precise.
Sounds good in theory, especially since you're working with a simple curve. I don't have any sheet or I'd try it.