Delrin sleeves

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Gainey Pipes

Delrin sleeves

Post by Gainey Pipes »

A quick question about using delrin sleeves. Would a 5 minute epoxy be acceptable... or am I best off using a 24 hour? I know the 24 hour would be best, but the 5 minute sure would be more convenient if it's an option :-) Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
scotties22

Re: Delrin sleeves

Post by scotties22 »

5 minute epoxy is what I use. Just make sure you score the delrin before you put it in and you should be fine.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Gainey Pipes

Post by Gainey Pipes »

scotties22 wrote:5 minute epoxy is what I use. Just make sure you score the delrin before you put it in and you should be fine.
Thanks! that's what I was hoping ;-)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If I epoxy anything on a pipe, I use 24 hour epoxy. The 5 minute stuff will probably hold just fine, but I don't want to take any chances.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I've been using JB Weld wood epoxy lately with no problems. Sets in about 6 minutes and is machinable in about 90 depending on conditions.
Very high bond strength (to the briar). Take the time to go beyond just scoring or roughing up. Put some serious dings all around the OD of the sleeve and inside the shank where it is going to fit. This gives the glue some places to flow and make a mechanical lock. There is no doubt this stuff bonds like crazy to the wood but I trust nothing when it comes to bonding to Delrin. A mechanical lock is a must. The only down side to it is that it is tan in color so you will have a light colored glue line which may or may not be an issue.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I switched to west systems epoxy for delrin its more of a 24 hr. for my application had the occasional joint failure with 5 minute stuff when doing a batch of tenons and the slower setting epoxy will flow more inside the joint.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

What's the rush? I use G-Flex for pretty much everything, anymore, and have tried them all at one time or another. Fiendishly tough, plenty of working time, sets fairly fast if/when gently heated.

Its ever-so-slight (i.e. microscopic) flexibility is ideal for a slippery sleeve inside a dimension-cycling material like briar.

The fact is any decent, thoroughly mixed and properly applied epoxy is probably enough for pipes, but I'm an overkill sort of guy and they're all about the same amount of hassle to use, so why not?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I've been using 24 hour for a while and hated it but thought it was important. I've recently spoken to a good number of makers I respect who use 5- minute and immediately threw my 24 hour away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

5minute, pah I use 90second, I ain't got no time to waste :P
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:5minute, pah I use 90second, I ain't got no time to waste :P
And when the tunnel roof collapses again, what are you going to do?
The Big Dig ceiling collapse, which occurred on July 10, 2006, is an accident which was caused by the use of fast-set epoxy which had a higher rate of creep than standard-set epoxy.

The accident resulted in one fatality and cost $54 million to redesign, repair, and inspect all of the tunnels in the D Street connector.

The cost of the fast-set epoxy used to secure the bolts was $1,287.60.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Dammit George I told you not to bring that up again!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I used 90 sec epoxy for a few years. It sets very quickly, but stays soft and milky for a few days after gluing. Any type of heat during that period caused it to liquefy and lose the bond. I like the 5 min stuff much better.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
caskwith wrote:5minute, pah I use 90second, I ain't got no time to waste :P
And when the tunnel roof collapses again, what are you going to do?
The Big Dig ceiling collapse, which occurred on July 10, 2006, is an accident which was caused by the use of fast-set epoxy which had a higher rate of creep than standard-set epoxy.

The accident resulted in one fatality and cost $54 million to redesign, repair, and inspect all of the tunnels in the D Street connector.

The cost of the fast-set epoxy used to secure the bolts was $1,287.60.
With this in mind, should we all be using 72 hour epoxy? :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Solomon_pipes wrote:I used 90 sec epoxy for a few years. It sets very quickly, but stays soft and milky for a few days after gluing. Any type of heat during that period caused it to liquefy and lose the bond. I like the 5 min stuff much better.

The one I use is completely hard in a couple of hours. Its a mute point in my case since my tenons are threaded, the epoxy is just there to seal things up.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I'm sure it works well in that application. the area that 90 sec. doesn't work for me is gluing up stem inlays and stainless tenons. But there are guys get ultra glossy pipes from danish oil, which doesn't work at all for me. To each his own!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not sure how Danish oil pertains to epoxy, but you can get glossy pipes from it if you have the right stuff and the right process. It does take some getting used to for that to work out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

We should all just use CA with Accelerator for all of our glue jobs. Yeah, that'll speed up the process! :twisted:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Joe was mearly stating that he can't achieve a shiny pipe with DO, just like 90 second epoxy doesn't work well with his setup. We all have different processes that work for us. Joe was just stating he has trouble with a few others don't.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:Not sure how Danish oil pertains to epoxy, but you can get glossy pipes from it if you have the right stuff and the right process. It does take some getting used to for that to work out well.
Joe began his sentence using the word but as an unattached correlative conjunction to illustrate a similar situation in support of his initial assertion. Basically, he was saying, "I know some stuff, but not everything, and see no point in carrying on as if I do. I still find myself routinely mystified, in fact."

If only such an attitude/approach was adopted by every new carver in his early years... :banghead:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Joe left the room to get a beer. What happened?