Chamber questions for first pipe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Cms83

Chamber questions for first pipe

Post by Cms83 »

Hi guys. Not well known here my second post. I've started my cherry wood pipe. My questions are I hand drilled my chamber, the bottom of the hole is rough. I used a 3/4 spade bit. Used it so the pilot hole would peek through the the draw hole. If that's what you call it. So should that bottom of the chamber be smooth? How would that effect smoking of the pipe? Iam asking because I am putting a lot of time in this pipe and want it to smoke proper. I hope that it will be my main pipe. I have read about breaking in briar pipe nothing about cherry wood or any wood like that. Would it be the same as briar wood pipe? The "break in"? Well thanx for your time. Chris
PS I have been looking at a lot your guys pipe sites( I have been searching for these answers and just collecting info) I gotta say you guys make some fine looking pipes! All seem to have good reviews so they must smoke good. I can take pics of it if you think it would help
Sasquatch

Re: Chamber questions for first pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

Ordinariyl the chamber is sort of round on the bottom, bullnosed. I'd worry with your setup that tobacco will fall into and plug the hole at the bottom. It's going to be v shaped if it's anything like most spade bits, and I think tobacco could get in there and get more and more compressed as you smoke, until you can't draw air anymore. So it might be better to carve out the bottom if you can instead of leaving it flat. But hell, try it out and see.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Cherry wood tends to burn quite easily compared to briar. Make sure to build a cake up before really puffing away.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Cms83

Post by Cms83 »

Iam trin to take a photo keeps sayin file size to big. Can't figure out how to make it smaller. When downloading from a site. I know how to when sending from my camera. Well anyway I'll try to put a bullnose in it. Not sure how thick it is so maybe a little bit will help. Now stupid question but gotta ask about how Many bowls before it gets cake and I can go really go to down? Also don't let it get hot right? Nice and slow till there is cake? See I wanna quit smokin cigs smoke to much. I would like to smoke pipes but not as much as cigs
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You can never "really go to town" on any pipe. Smoke slow, don't burn it. That's just the way it is.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Cms83

Post by Cms83 »

Well don't smoke it as usual? As a broken in pipe? So I would smoke slower then one would with a pipe that is broken in. I've been reading up on it and I haven't gotten or understood how to smoke it without burning up compared to normal smoking. But I think i got it now burn slower then norm just got to get the feel for normal
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

Regarding your problem with the pictures, try to open your pictures in Microsoft Paint (or other "fancy" programs).
There you can change the picture size. Save it, upload it to your photobucket (or whatever you use), and share the link here.