Why Does This Pipe Look Off?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Cory

Why Does This Pipe Look Off?

Post by Cory »

So I am working on my first pipe in probably a year or so and I ran into some minor problems with tricks I had forgotten with getting everything perfect. So aside from the less than perfect shank/stem junction, what is wrong with the stummel?

My suspicion is the inconsistency in the shape of the pipe. The back side (facing smoker) doesn't change radius as steeply as the front, which I think makes it look sloppy. If these matched, would it look better? If it helps I was going for an acorn.

I think I did an OK (not good, but tolerable) job on the shank/chamber junction. Suggestions on getting it tighter? It seems when I try to file it into a sharp edge I dig into the pipe and make what you might call a relief cut into the joint. What is the trick?

Also the finish is a little matte...suggestions? Process for me is 80>120>220>320>400>600>Brown>White>Carnauba

Let me know what you guys think. I am really working towards getting to the point where I am proud of my pipes, but I am definitely not there. This was supposed to be a gift and I am just not proud of it so I don't feel comfortable giving it to someone. That being said, I need REAL and HONEST (even brutal) critique. I know there are faults, I just need a trained eye to help me spot them.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Cory

Re: Why Does This Pipe Look Off?

Post by Cory »

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Cory

Post by Cory »

Charl

Post by Charl »

I think the stummel is OK. The stem doesn't work for me, though.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's just a mixture of ideas to my eye.... a sweeping Danish bowl, a chisel-straight shank and a sort of roundy-offy stem treatment.... it's neither fish nor fowl.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You've got a wobble in the line on your stem as well. What Sas said is correct. Maybe make the next one with a bent shank and that would help.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com