Shank ring with flat bottom?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Charl

Shank ring with flat bottom?

Post by Charl »

I've been asked to do a flat bottomed billiard (a la Dunhill style), that must have a silver band on.
How would you go about that type of thing? You can't fit a ring and then just sand the whole thing flat on the bottom, because the ring is going to be messed up. If you get a ring made especially with one flat side, the cost I assume will not make it worth the while.
Maybe go aluminium? Any of you guys ever done anything like this?
Any idea will help (even Rad) :lol:
caskwith

Re: Shank ring with flat bottom?

Post by caskwith »

Tell the customer flat bottomed billiards are ugly.

:)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Why does the whole length of the pipe need to be flat? I've made billiards where just the front half or so have the flat spot. That's one option.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ha! But Chris, don't you know that the customer is always right? Huh? :lol:
Might be an idea, Nate.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I imagine if, at the point the ring is on the shank the flat is much smaller, you can just reshape it without a lot of distortion. That is, if it's a regular band.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Charl wrote:Ha! But Chris, don't you know that the customer is always right? Huh? :lol:
Might be an idea, Nate.
The customer is not always right. But the customer is always the customer...

Maybe, flatten the wood, add the ring, then hammer it flat to match?
socrates

Post by socrates »

Shape the shank and then using silver stock in the width of the recess you made for the band wrap, mark, cut and solder using the appropriate soft solder. When you cut prior to soldering do it where the flat meets the curve of the band. Slidind a ring of silver onto the shank and hammering it flat will distort the band. It sounds complicated/difficult but with minimal practice it will be easy. This skill can be used on other pipes you may make. This is a technique used in jewelry making to make bezels for holding stones in jewelry. Google and query bezel making.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Charl wrote:Ha! But Chris, don't you know that the customer is always right? Huh? :lol:
Might be an idea, Nate.
Before I became a full time pipe maker I worked in retail for several years. One of the earliest lessons I learned was that the customer is very rarely right and is almost always wrong and a pain in the ass.
The phrase should be modified to:

"The customer is nearly always wrong, but the customer has the money that we want so we will pretend they are right, smile through gritted teeth and do our very best to extract what we need and then bitch and laugh about them behind their back whilethey go home thinking they have won a victory for the common man"

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though :P

Now pipe customers of course are another matter, they are always right........... ;)
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Charl,fit the band as normal the band will conform to the shape with a little persuasion. Just like a band on a diamond shank it's usually the smaller of the one you think you need hope this helps :evil:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

caskwith wrote:
Might be an idea, Nate.
Before I became a full time pipe maker I worked in retail for several years. One of the earliest lessons I learned was that the customer is very rarely right and is almost always wrong and a pain in the ass.

"The customer is nearly always wrong, but the customer has the money that we want so we will pretend they are right, smile through gritted teeth and do our very best to extract what we need and then bitch and laugh about them behind their back whilethey go home thinking they have won a victory for the common man"

Now pipe customers of course are another matter, they are always right........... ;)
+1
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

caskwith wrote:
Might be an idea, Nate.

+100
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

caskwith wrote:
Might be an idea, Nate.

Retail has changed my friend. Now it is "The customer is always right, because if they become upset, they will post on yelp, forums, etc.. nasty shit about your business"

It sucks.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Alden

Post by Alden »

caskwith wrote:
Might be an idea, Nate.

So basically, the customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer ? :lol:
Charl

Post by Charl »

:? Now all this crap about customers are not really helping my problem, hey?
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sure it is, tell him he doesn't want a flat ring.
It will throw off the harmonic dissonance of the airway, leading to consternation of the laminar airflow, and the pipe will smoke wet.
Rings should be round, or the universe will disapprove.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Just make the ring thick enough to have enough meat to flatten it without sanding through.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

W.Pastuch wrote:Just make the ring thick enough to have enough meat to flatten it without sanding through.
This is kinda what I was thinking.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

I would;
1. Put a flat on a on a band, parallel pliers work great.
2. Cut a hard wood dowel or two, to shape and fit band.
3. Cut shank to fit band using dowel size as pattern.
Remember the band will enlarge during shaping.
I find it much easier to size the shank to fit an odd shape band than the reverse, making repair work a pain.
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Charl

Post by Charl »

Just make the ring thick enough to have enough meat to flatten it without sanding through
What I was thinking from the start. But the customer wants a silver ring and I suppose I was scared that sanding/filing would damage or burnish the silver in such a way as to be unusable. I don't have lots of experience with silver.
I was thinking that maybe aluminium might be easier to work with?