Pipe number 13 billiard try 2.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
i.keenum

Pipe number 13 billiard try 2.

Post by i.keenum »

This is my 4th hand cut stem , pipe number 13 and billiard number 2. Was going for a bing Crosby esque billiard with a oval stem. Don't think it came out too bad , has a few pits unfortunately. It came in block form as a pre-drill kit from a trade with a brother here. Only power tool used was a dremel, rest was hand sanding and shaping so may be a tad off but all and all it is really symmetrical. Bit isn't thin as I wanted it (was scared to cut into the airway) but it is thinner than my dunhill stim, was modelling the bit after a jesse jones I got for Christmas and really appreciate how much work he put into it and how incredibly thin the bit was. His pipe is hands down the most comfortable pipe I have had the pleasure of using.

Let me know how I could have done better guys. Don't feel bad to tear me a new one. :D

Thanks for looking!

sandahlpipe

Re: Pipe number 13 billiard try 2.

Post by sandahlpipe »

That's a pretty darned nice pipe!

The line on the side of the pipe looks a little wavy. Using hand files will help get those lines straight and will help straighten the lines as you shape.

The bottom line looks very close to flat, but I think you would find that it's not 100% straight if you hold it to a straight edge. Walt's video on shaping billiards is helpful advice there. You've also got a pinch on the sides of the shank near the bowl. There is also a very slight bulge right before the stem touches the shank face.

Good job on the stem fit and slot work. Can't wait to see your next pipe. I think you've done really well on this one. Especially for pipe number 13.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Nice job! There's a lot to like about this pipe. This is a minor thing and isn't an issue if you don't remove the stem, but the shank face should be dyed the same color as the pipe. It helps give it a more finished look. Looks like there's also a tiny bit of either tear out or pencil markings on the shank face. If it's tear out, it clearly doesn't affect the fit. If it's pencil markings, they should be pretty easy to remove. Other than that, I really like it. A top view shot would help with critique as well.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Thanks guys. I have a problem where when I'm done with the files you'll have the meat left and the shank bowl junction that the files can't get to and you have to wrap some sand paper around a needle file to get to I end up bring it in just a wee bit from the lines on the side of the shank. Did it on the last billiard a little also, any trick other than just being really careful when sanding the junction flush?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like to do the bowl/shank junction with a pippin file. If you're using a needle file or a round file, just be sure to apply pressure only in the direction you need to take off material from. You can also roll up sandpaper instead of wrapping it around a file and that will make the lines more gentle.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I get the shape on the bowl and shank close. Then I fine tune the junction and shape my way back out of the corner so to speak. Works most of the time :-)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Do guys think it is ok to sell with all these flaws, I was thinking around $80 dollars since it it hand cut cumberland and the flaws are cosmetic but I may be shooting my self in the foot if I over charge for something others might view for unacceptable.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Personally, I like to hide all the flaws by sandblast or rustication. You can very probably sell it for $80 as is. Depends a lot on what the people you show it to are looking for. When I sold my first pipe for $60, it wasn't anywhere near as nice as this.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I like this pipe a lot Ian. I would sure smoke it. :thumbsup:
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Many factory pipes sell for $100. If you compare those pipes against yours, well, I think you get the picture. Anyone who pays $80 for this pipe is probably getting a pretty good deal.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Good looking pipe. Only thing I see is maybe a little bulge on the top of the stem nearest the shank but it may be photography angle. Good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Thanks guys , I posted it at $90 figuring I could price drop after a few days and some one bought it with in a few minutes. Can't wait to start on the next one. Do you think I should stick to billiards for a few more pipes or try another traditional shape such as pot or brandy.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

That's awesome! I think the guy who bought it got a great deal on a nice pipe.

Whether you try another shape or make another billiard next, I would recommend strongly that you attend to the details mentioned in the thread on your next billiard. I'd say make what you like and try to make it an established shape that has established rules for critique if you want helpful feedback. If you make a shape of your own creation, it's hard to give objective feedback and it devolves into "I like it" or "It doesn't suit my taste."

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl