Freehand sitter for critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LittleBill

Freehand sitter for critique

Post by LittleBill »

I know it is not always easy to critique a freehand, but I am interested in any feedback that anyone might care to give. Please feel free to critique my photographic skills as well. This is my ninth pipe, and second sale. It has taken me a while to get to nine pipes, but as I mentioned in another post regarding sales, there are some local guys who are hot for beginner pipes in my club. Either that, or they think I am going to get famous someday and they can say, "I knew him when..." :lol: In any case, let it rip. I have a thick hide, as anyone who has met me can testify.

This pipe was designed by the new owner. He sent me several pictures of pipes of this general style along with a sketch for what he actually wanted. I stayed pretty close to the actual sketch with the exception of not making S bend stems. I talked him out of that. It was blasted and stained with a two tone stain, and the bowl was coated with a bowl coating. The owner asked for two different stems, one long and one short. The long stem is a prefabbed churchwarden that I polished up. The short one is made from ebonite rod.

wdteipen

Re: Freehand sitter for critique

Post by wdteipen »

I like the design and it's a nice looking pipe. One thing that I think would improve it is if the line of the bowl face above the shank matched the line of the bowl face below the shank.

Before:

After:

The edit isn't perfect because now the stem angle is off but you get the idea.

Other than that the stem and button are a bit chunky and could stand to be slimmed down.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Thank you Wayne. I will endeavor to put your suggestions into effect on the next stem, and I do see what you mean with the lines on the bowl.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I like the stummel a lot, though I do agree with Wayne's comments. I would add that it would look less clunky on the stem (short one) if you curved over the ends/sides of the buttons...brought them together rather than having that flat spot on each side (does that make sense?)
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

JMG wrote:I like the stummel a lot, though I do agree with Wayne's comments. I would add that it would look less clunky on the stem (short one) if you curved over the ends/sides of the buttons...brought them together rather than having that flat spot on each side (does that make sense?)
It does make sense. I rounded it over, patterning it after a very comfortable Savinelli pipe stem I own. I can see where it might have done me well to make it thinner (like the Savinelli) as well, or taper the edges more. But this is the kind of stuff I want to hear. Thank you.