1st Reverse Calabash - chubby billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Massis

1st Reverse Calabash - chubby billiard

Post by Massis »

Finally got some rod stock >20mm thick to give the reverse calabash a try, this one sold last week (for $85).

I'm rather pleased with this one. The wood was full of flaws so I had to rusticate. Rustication reminded me of a corncob and of driftwood, so I decided to nickname this one "Driftcob", as a "driftkop" in dutch is a "hothead".

To be honest I can't really find any big flaws, but hey, that's where you all come in!
The only thing I'm still really struggling with is a nice and smooth slot in the button, but it's improving.
Also the mouthpiece could've been ever so slightly longer so the taper could end a bit further from the button, giving a larger bite zone.

dimensions
weight: 52 gr
length: 106 mm
width: 36 mm (chamber 19mm)
height: 51mm (chamber 40mm)
second chamber: 20mm x32mm
behind the button: 5mm
button: 6.2mm

I'm off to a new pipe, so steer me in the right direction if you please.
LatakiaLover

Re: 1st Reverse Calabash - chubby billiard

Post by LatakiaLover »

I've lost count of the number of saddle replacement stems I've been asked to make for those brucianasos. It seems people fall out of love with the cuteness before they learn to live with an un-clenchable pipe.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm with George. Ya gotta "pucker" the stem if you're going to go taper. Has to be a stretch that's relatively flat to be comfortable.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:I'm with George. Ya gotta "pucker" the stem if you're going to go taper. Has to be a stretch that's relatively flat to be comfortable.

And if you choose to "pucker" you've made a grevous aesthetic mistake, IMO. A saddle is the only choice.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Tyler wrote:
wdteipen wrote:I'm with George. Ya gotta "pucker" the stem if you're going to go taper. Has to be a stretch that's relatively flat to be comfortable.

And if you choose to "pucker" you've made a grevous aesthetic mistake, IMO. A saddle is the only choice.
... as the new guy, let me talk this out. I agree, with all statements so far. I've made a few short and stubbies, and they look dang cool, but totally uncomfortable.... so, a saddle stem: comfortable at virtually any length; tapered stem: really only good at or beyond a certain length, i.e. that which is long enough to allow the slope to be gradual enough to fool the teeth into being a mostly flat bite zone. too drastic a taper= not comfy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

seamonster wrote:
Tyler wrote:

... as the new guy, let me talk this out. I agree, with all statements so far. I've made a few short and stubbies, and they look dang cool, but totally uncomfortable.... so, a saddle stem: comfortable at virtually any length; tapered stem: really only good at or beyond a certain length, i.e. that which is long enough to allow the slope to be gradual enough to fool the teeth into being a mostly flat bite zone. too drastic a taper= not comfy.
Yes
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Tyler wrote:

I agree, FWIW.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

First time I've seen so many of you agree so soon on something :-D

I did find this one uncomfortable to clench when making it, so I ended up tapering the stem's width as well. It is 23.5mm in diameter at the shank, but the button is only 18.5mm wide. This significantly increased comfort in my opinion, though I have to agree it's less of a clencher than your average normal shanked pipe.

So the next one will be a saddle stem :-)

Any other useful tips or comments on execution?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Massis wrote: Any other useful tips or comments on execution?
Taper the shank slightly. Doesn't take much---a little goes a long way---but doing so will add considerably to the visual balance and flow.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.