cutting tools for the jet bd-920 metal lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jbacon

cutting tools for the jet bd-920 metal lathe

Post by jbacon »

question for everyone using the jet bd-920 metal lathe. what kind of cutting are you using for stem work cutting tenons. do you grind them yourselfs is any one using the type of tools that that inserts like the ones used in all the tenon turning tools.

thanks
jim
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hi Jim,

I grind most of my tools from 1/2" blanks, but I do have both a left and a right cutting bit that takes the triangular carbide cutter. Ken Lamb also sells sets of 1/2" cutting bits I think.

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

Todd,

How often do you use the carbide insert cutting tools and what operations do you find them most useful for? I wasn't aware that you used them, so I'm curious about their usefulness. I had considered purchasing these in the past, but had held back because of the rather sketchy results they produce on the PIMO tool. I'm sure that using them on a lathe would provide different results, but I'm not certain how different they would be.

Thanks,

Jeff
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi jeff and todd

that is what i was(am) going to try and use this typeof tool for. right now i am lacking funds to really spend on a grinder and i suck at grinding my own tools being new to the metal lathe. jeff what kind of profile are you using for cutting your tenons. what kind of carbine insert holder i need i dont know one that is 0 deg or one that is -5 deg.

thanks for all your input to everyone

jim
BDP

Post by BDP »

Jim,

I'm going to chime in here. I am assuming you know little about using a lathe. Are you aware that the tool must be at centerline to get a clean cut?
Carbide lathe tools are nice, but I use both high-speed steel and carbide. You can find carbide tools very ine3xpensively. Here's a link-
http://rutland.sccomputers.com/toolbar. ... =216&hl=en
They are only about $5.50 You'll want the style A right hand tool. As long as you don't run it into the chuck, it should last a good long while.
Best of Luck,
Brad
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi brad
looking for help from anyone, that is exactly the the kind of information i was looking for. i have a store here where i live that sells exactaly that i will be there first thing tuesday.

thanks again

jim