Pick axe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lundell

Pick axe

Post by Lundell »

So I finally found a piece of briar I thought good enough to keep smooth. Might be a shape hard to critique, but I have faith in you guys, you can do it! And I'll appreciate it!
Measurements
Length: 120 mm
Height: 70 mm
Width: 34 mm
Depth: 40 mm
Diameter: 18 mm
Weight: 34 g

That was the last one for now. Thank you for looking!
maxmil

Re: Pick axe

Post by maxmil »

Nice pipe.
Best regards.
Félix
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Hard one to critique. The bottom line of the shank near the bowl looks to pinch in a bit. Other than that the execution looks solid.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

my opinion. finish looks good and I like the plateau top. The bowl seems to lean back towards the shank, I would like a little more cant forward. The saddle portion of the stem should be shorter.
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

wdteipen wrote:Hard one to critique. The bottom line of the shank near the bowl looks to pinch in a bit. Other than that the execution looks solid.
Yes, I find it hard to get a good line from the bowl to the back of the saddle. It often wants to taper the wrong way so to speak.
Solomon_pipes wrote:my opinion. finish looks good and I like the plateau top. The bowl seems to lean back towards the shank, I would like a little more cant forward. The saddle portion of the stem should be shorter.
The entire pipe is leaning backwards a bit in the Pictures, but I see how a more forward cant would be beneficial to the appearence.
The saddle length is Another thing I'm struggeling to get right. I alwas set out to make them as long as the shank is wide, but somehow get to careful and it ends up to long in the end anyway. Making stems is hard... :?
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

[quote="Lundell"Making stems is hard... :?[/quote]

Concur! :)
socrates

Post by socrates »

Nice, I like it very much.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk