Pipe turds, anyone?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Badmedicine

Pipe turds, anyone?

Post by Badmedicine »

Well, here goes my first gallery post. This offering will be crude to the point of comedy, but I'm here for tough constructive criticism.
A little backstory on these abominations: Two weeks ago, my younger brother brought his MM Maple Great Dane to me and asked me to craft a replacement. It had burned through at the thin middle portion, and he wanted a sizeable replacement in a similarly "folkish" style. To that end, I decided to cannibalize what parts I could (he had fitted it with one of MM's freehand bits and had some extra metal rings). Now, what to use, what to use... Fortune smiled upon me. A few years ago, I had an apple tree die from sheer cold during a particularly brutal winter (I wasn't even aware that was possible :shock: ). It had been standing in my yard for three years now, as I had not had time to cut it down. Well, on one of my odd days off I finally took 'er down and saved some choicer bit for stummels and shanks. My process was crude, to be kind- carving was done completely by hand (rough shaping with a rasp and Buck knife, finer shaping with a 60-grit Dremel sanding drum). I bored the chamber and airways first, using spade bits for the chamber and a 5/16 conventional bit for the airway. For tenons I used 5/16 expansion collars from my local hardware store, then stained with Minwax oil-based stain after sanding with my finest grit (120, on the Dremel again). Finishing was beeswax, rough-buffed with a felt Dremel pad and given a final shine with an old sock. Being rather pleased with the end result (the barrel-shaped monster with a bark ring), I decided to use the rest of the branch to craft a few for myself. Using various finishing methods (including none at all and a blowtorch) and parts ordered from Missouri Meerschaum, I created what you now see. The chambers (except for the Dublin-ish looking one, which is 3/4 in diameter) are 1 1/4 inches in diameter. The interiors of the chambers where pre-coated with honey, thinned with a little Wild Turkey. I was quite proud of my first attempt, but I almost wet myself laughing at them when I stumbled on this place. Oddly, they smoke quite well. The Dublin-ish is my designated navy flake pipe, the burned kinda-billiard does marvelous things with Lat/Oriental mixes, and the completely unsanded poker (which I have since dubbed "Thud") is reserved for aromatics. A friend who owns a woodworking store has given me a few scrap chunks of claro walnut, and I have some bamboo on order for shanks. So, now that you've read my novel, how about some not-so-pretty pictures? Please forgive my poor photo quality; my camera is almost ten years old and I'm no photo-hound. Let the evisceration commence!
Attachments
The Whole Fam Damily
The Whole Fam Damily
Fam Damily.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
The Mighty Thud
The Mighty Thud
Thud.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Stripey
Stripey
Stripe.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Scorch
Scorch
Smoky.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Fugly Dublin. Fuglin!
Fugly Dublin. Fuglin!
Fuglin.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Spit'n'Whittle

Re: Pipe turds, anyone?

Post by Spit'n'Whittle »

I'd say there is something to be said about "style". For each kind of man, there is a kind of pipe. So long as the dimensions are balanced, not every pipe has to be a super high gloss, polished mirror capable of refracting light that would illuminate the lense of the Huble telescope.
wdteipen

Re: Pipe turds, anyone?

Post by wdteipen »

Hey, those are pretty cool. I like how you connected the shank to the bowl. I like the rustic old-timey look of them. When we critique pipes on PMF we are generally comparing them to similar, ideal examples of the pipe that is made. Other than a corn cob there's not really much out there to which to compare your pipes. Also, your intended result has to be taken into consideration. For those reasons you won't get any harsh criticisms from me. You weren't shooting for a Bo Nordh whatever so I won't compare your pipes to one. The only real criticism I would give is that the chamber is off center on the torched billiard.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com