Taking photos of our pipes

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RDPowell

Taking photos of our pipes

Post by RDPowell »

I've got one question for those who really do this well.
How in tarnation do you get a good clear and bright photo of the inside of the tobacco chamber and draft?
Been trying for years and ever so often I get lucky but, most the time I just can't get the light in there to
get a decent photo, not that any of my photos are really decent but........ :roll:
rdpipes.briar.club
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Taking photos of our pipes

Post by baweaverpipes »

Why? It should be a given that a well crafted pipe will be drilled properly.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

baweaverpipes wrote:Why? It should be a given that a well crafted pipe will be drilled properly.
This is true but, how does one know without being able to see it.
Are we just to expect that others will trust the seller/maker without proof?
Sounds pretty arrogant to me, specially for beginning pipe makers to assume.
I've heard a lot of things about SOME top carvers and there pipes and how they were shocked by there drillings and such.

And personally, I would like to show my future customers without relying on them to assume anything. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's tough to focus on them real close up - I've had better luck getting overall clarity of such things with the pipe about a meter from the camera, then zoom/crop the photo.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:It's tough to focus on them real close up - I've had better luck getting overall clarity of such things with the pipe about a meter from the camera, then zoom/crop the photo.
Hmm, I'll give that a try sir, thanks Sas!

And why don't you give your critique of my latest pipe turd while your here sir. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

There's only so much you can do in this regard- Bruce is right in a sense, established carvers have standards which they uphold, customers buying their pipes can trust that everything will be done correctly. For carvers starting out this is an issue, but if you make everything well, it shouldn't take long for people to trust your engineering. You can always shine a light down the drafthole for the closeup shot, or maybe run a pipecleaner through so people can see where it enters the bowl.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:There's only so much you can do in this regard- Bruce is right in a sense, established carvers have standards which they uphold, customers buying their pipes can trust that everything will be done correctly. For carvers starting out this is an issue, but if you make everything well, it shouldn't take long for people to trust your engineering. You can always shine a light down the drafthole for the closeup shot, or maybe run a pipecleaner through so people can see where it enters the bowl.
I understand but, I've seen some real good photos of the interior of chambers and was wondering how the person did it and, of course I don't remember
who's it was. :banghead: If there's way I must find out how, just who I am. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Figure out where light is shining from and eliminate shadows in the chamber. The problem is almost always angle of light and amount of light. Having said that, you usually don't have to worry about it once you have a reputation for centered drilling.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

sandahlpipe wrote:Having said that, you usually don't have to worry about it once you have a reputation for centered drilling.
That's what I keep hearing. :wink: But, I still want to. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club