My First Pipe, a Freehand for Dad

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
clickklick

My First Pipe, a Freehand for Dad

Post by clickklick »

16 hours and I have a smokeable pipe. Much to improve on. Like A LOT! Went through 4 blocks to get this one right, then 10 hours later I had a finished stummel. Another 6 hours of trial and error an I had a poorly shaped hand cut stem from acrylic.

It is going to my dad as a gift and he wanted it a plateau freehand as red as could be, so I think he'll like it. A labor of love for sure.

Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
RiverWader

Re: My First Pipe, a Freehand for Dad

Post by RiverWader »

As I'm sure you'll hear, it's tough to critique a freehand as there are no standards. Your finish looks decent but need to go back and work on the bit. Still looks squared and can't imagine that would be very comfortable for the smoker.

-Pat
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I'm sure your dad will appreciate it.

As said above, it's tough to comment on a freehand, but I'll venture one or two suggestions should you attempt a pipe like this in the future. Pipes with facets can be really cool, but the facets should be symmetrical and parallel. In the top view, the sides of the pipe look like they wanted to be parallel but couldn't quite line up. A nice, even rectangle profile (when looked at from above) would have been ideal. From the side view, I think the pipe looks a little better. Drilling a counter-sink for the stem, so there's no gap between the tenon shoulder and the briar, would have gone a long way toward making the pipe look more finished.

Now go make another pipe, and see what happens.
- Steve S.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Thanks for the feedback and I totally understand. Pipe two is going to be a cherry wood shape. We'll see how it goes without having to worry about the plateau.

My dad loves the pipe, he smoked it today.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

That's what really counts. :)
- Steve S.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Lucky Dad!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk