bjv 4

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bubbajvegas

bjv 4

Post by bubbajvegas »

dublin poker/sitter?
pretty happy with this but should have taken a little more tim on the stem finishing as there are some faint scratches showing through,pretty happy with the rustication but think the stain would have been better darker
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Charl

Re: bjv 4

Post by Charl »

:wink: Those fingers must have had a hard life!
bubbajvegas

Post by bubbajvegas »

haha...@Charl ....having a lot harder life recently...getting drilled,sanded and stained,loooool [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I don't know that this has anything to do with a Dublin except a narrower base. I'd call it a poker or cherrywood.

It looks to me like you didn't do much finish sanding anywhere. The parts of the stummel that aren't rusticated could be much shinier. I'd recommend at least going to 600 grit and doing a good job at it. The same is true for the stem. Spend that extra time and make sure there aren't any scratches.

The other issue I would like to point out is the shank face, which is rounded over just a bit. This happens when you don't have a properly fitting stem and the buffing wheels get caught in a groove, or when you buff the stummel with the stem removed. Either way, make sure you're getting a proper fit and sanding stem and stummel together.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
bubbajvegas

Post by bubbajvegas »

yeah ...the shank,stem fit is a weakness for sure...the finishing is noted...just mentioned Dublin as the bowl was angled?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Looks like a Dublin sitter to me. I like your rustication. It lends well to the shape of the pipe. Sanding out the chamber will leave the pipe looking a bit more finished. I also agree that a bit more sanding at higher grits would leave a better finish. Refining your stemwork and junction between the shank and stem and you've got a real winner.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
bubbajvegas

Post by bubbajvegas »

,I actually did sand the chamber yesterday after reading various threads ;-)
already concentrating on sanding on my next
thanks for taking the time guys to look and help