My first one

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DeanWakeman

My first one

Post by DeanWakeman »

so for a first pipe I thought it best to do a shape I am used to holding

Out of 20 briar blocks to choose from I had to pick the one with a pit right at the front, I didn't want to rusticate a first pipe & it is for me so I can live with it
Been reading lot's on this forum & digesting as much info before I made a start, but learned so much actually doing it, not the greatest grain I tried to make the most of it
Hopefully next one will be better

Any advice or pointers for the next one would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
Dean
Attachments
P1120203.jpg
(59.36 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
P1120201.jpg
(51.6 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
P1120200.jpg
(54.03 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
P1120197.jpg
(60.34 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
P1120196.jpg
(59.63 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
wdteipen

Re: My first one

Post by wdteipen »

That's a very nice first. It's obvious that you did some homework and the experienced guys here will definitely appreciate that effort before jumping in. There's only a few minor fixes that I see. First, the cheeks (the lower portion of the bowl near the shank) need to have more material taken off. the shape should mirror the roundness of the bowl on the opposite side of the bowl. Second, your shank flares out a touch as it nears the bowl. You can see it best from the bottom up view. Continue your taper to the bowl more before blending it into the bowl. Your button isn't bad but it could be more refined and crisp but no sharp edges. Yours it a bit soft and rounded looking. Lastly, make sure to sand all the stain out of your tobacco chamber. This is your first warning (inside joke.)

Overall it's a very impressive first.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Your attention to detail is impressive. I can't find anything wrong that Wayne didn't already point out. Keep doing what you're doing and apply the advice the people of this forum offer, and you'll be making some fine pipes in no time.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

wow dude.
wow.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yup, Wayne hit the important stuff.

An outstanding first go at it, to be sure. 8)

Question: In every case I've seen so far of noteworthy early attempts, the carver had related experience. Fine cabinetry, maybe, wooden musical instruments, pro-level model making, something like that. Is that the case with you?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DeanWakeman

Post by DeanWakeman »

Thanks gent's
I am with you on the cheek's, the confidence on the wheel to get in that close was my problem & I made the mistake of hitting the shape I wanted & then trying to change it to sand out the pit on the front & I agree I need to find my own style of button, I was playing about with the shape of it too much & then ran out of material :)
I promise to sand the stain out of the chamber next time hehe
I have been restoring pipes for just over 10 years, mainly for myself & buying, restoring & selling pipes for a living for the last 2 years 'Estate Pipe Shop', prior to that I have been a carpenter but mostly in construction (home building), but nothing as delicate as this was to do, I digested so much from this forum & must of watched Chris Askwith's video's about 40 times, I owe him a pint if I ever get to meet him, they were a massive help to be honest & I didn't feel like I was stumbling around in the dark at the start & I had a system to work too
I learned so much doing this one & can't wait to get stuck into the next one, once again many thanks for the advice & I look forward to posting my next one
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Interesting about Chris. Because the LAST time someone admitted to making a pipe after watching his videos, they got so confused they made this:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You got it down just keep making them! Chris is a litre man, I believe.That's quart in American! :D
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nicely done. Now, the secret is to just keep going with more!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

DeanWakeman wrote:Thanks gent's
I am with you on the cheek's, the confidence on the wheel to get in that close was my problem...
Until you gain more confidence with the wheel, you can quickly and easily cut cheeks with a chain saw file. Buy a few so the radius compliments the size of the pipe, and you should be good to go.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

...and, that is a nice first.
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

Yeah - nicer than my bajillionth. Great work man!