Pipe #4, A Volcano with Bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
clickklick

Pipe #4, A Volcano with Bamboo

Post by clickklick »

This pipe turned into quite the learning experience! I didn't intend to put bamboo on this but ended up cracking the shank when I was shaping. So a whole ton of hours later I have this pipe. Red tripoli buffing was not nice to me on this one. Did the best I could, but my skill level is not at the level that this pipe required.

Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
sandahlpipe

Re: Pipe #4, A Volcano with Bamboo

Post by sandahlpipe »

There are some really nice things happening on this pipe. The profile shot isn't bad. I like the idea you were aiming at and how you used the grain.

A couple things to note...

1. Don't let stain get on your bamboo. Usually, this means removing the bamboo during staining and epoxying after.
2. Take care when fitting bamboo not to scratch or sand the bamboo.

Other than that, keep working on symmetry in shaping and stem, button, and funnel work.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
clickklick

Re: Pipe #4, A Volcano with Bamboo

Post by clickklick »

Thanks Jeremiah! I had no clue about not sanding bamboo until I had already glued and sanded it. I masked off the bamboo but stain still crept in. Of course it was already glued to the stummel. Also, the orange that rubbed on the buffing wheel crept into the crevises of the bamboo.

I don't plan on using bamboo again for a while. I'm not ready to make good use of it.

Button work is top thing on my list to focus on improving first and foremost.

Thanks for the feedback! I learn something new each time I make a pipe.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.