Zulu, another try

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Zulu, another try

Post by kamkiel »

This pipe actually didn't start out as a Zulu. It was supposed to be something else, but I got caught chasing a flaw and ended up changing the shape. I am not sure if this follows the rules of a Zulu. In fact, a while back when I was doing some searches on the shape I felt that it wasn't as standard as some other shapes. Anyways, this is what I got. My button was neglected. I went back later to finish the slot, but I backed off because I didn't want to it worse looking than it is.

I appreciate your critiques and advices

Kiel

clickklick

Re: Zulu, another try

Post by clickklick »

Nice looking pipe. Only thing I can add is that from the top view, the shank looks to get noticeably narrower right at the bowl.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

I would super love this shape if the shank were about almost half its current diameter:

Well, my photoshopping got it a bit on the thin side,
but split the difference! :lol:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

clickklick wrote:Nice looking pipe. Only thing I can add is that from the top view, the shank looks to get noticeably narrower right at the bowl.
Thank you.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

WCannoy wrote:I would super love this shape if the shank were about almost half its current diameter:

Well, my photoshopping got it a bit on the thin side,
but split the difference! :lol:
Thank you. Except for when I use bamboo all my mortises are drilled at 8mm. Often times when I am dialing in on a shape I get nervous that I am getting too close to the mortise and back off. In the future I will have to plan better for this, as well as get some 7ish mm pin gauges. But I think your right, it would have been sexier if it were thinner.