One at a time or multi task

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
notow1

One at a time or multi task

Post by notow1 »

I was wondering how most made pipes. Do You just work on one pipe from start to finish or multiple pipes? I have found it better to work on two or three at a time, this lets Me look differently at a pipe after setting it down for a while and still be productive. If I have to glue something on one pipe I can still work on another. I also find that this helps Me slow down and run through the grits with greater attention to detail. I know Walt Cannoy has said He prefers working on one at a time but He can make four pipes in the time it takes Me to do one, so that doesn't count. If Anyone is interested in sharing Their preferred method I think it would be interesting, thanks, Norm.
PremalChheda

Re: One at a time or multi task

Post by PremalChheda »

Whatever works for you. I have not figured it out yet.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I tend to waffle between the two. Sometimes its nice to do the same step over and over again because you get in a groove but my personality also rebels at having anything on my to-do list unfinished so I like to work things straight through. I guess whatever strikes me that particular day.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I prefer to make one pipe from start to finish, but I often get stuck on a shape or design and need to let it rest. In those cases, I will set it aside and move on to something else. I haven't done any shape in a batch yet.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
finster

Post by finster »

Workflow, pacing, how many, how much have been some of my major concerns. I don't get a lot of shop time and when I do I have at times been almost paralyzed creatively, not quite knowing where to start. I haven't figured out yet which works best, but I do know when I focus on one pipe it took me almost twice as long to finish said pipes than when working on 2-3 at a time. I haven't been at this long enough to have figured it out yet by a long shot, but reading Mr. Chheda's post made me shudder a little.
Alden

Post by Alden »

I'm back and forth. I convince myself one at a time is faster, then I drag my feet and take forever to finish the one up. Then I make a batch and bog down doing all those damn stems, and they take forever and a day. I don't know which is better. At the moment I'm tending to do one at a time, or maybe two. Seems I focus more on just that pipe and make less mistakes.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

In my experiences, it seems better to start several. I get several drawn up, lay out of drilling on the blocks, and start drilling. It doesn't hurt to drill them and let them sit for awhile. I suggest stabilize your mortise. Then I start cutting stem stock and getting the stem stock fitted to the stummel. Then I rough shape and get an idea of wether it's going to be a smooth or blast. Then I pick which ever one I feel like working on, and finish it. It seems a little bit faster that way for me because I don't have to set my lathe up over and over for drilling the stummel, and then stem.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Totally personal preference really. When I started I would make 1 pipe at a time, start to finish pretty much. This is probably the most enjoyable method for me. When I went full time I started working in batches and having several pipes on the go at any one point in time, usually finishing them all up at more or less the same time, at least with regarding to firing up the sandblaster for instance. I have found batch production to be much more efficient for me and less of a strain on my body, it is not as fun or interesting though.

Very large batches can be very efficient too, just recently I have been working on a batch of 26 pipes and a batch of 40 pipes earlier in the year. That is hard work and not fun.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I try to have 2-3 going at once, mainly so that I have something to do while I wait for epoxy or dye to set. But it also helps to take a break from one pipe and come back to it later because I always come back to it with a fresh mind and usually see things that I didn't notice before.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

This is actually quite interesting for me as I have tried different methods (except for big batches, I don't make big batches of the same shape).
I think this really depends on your character. An artisan's workshop is not a big production facility where there's people in charge of calculating the best production method- if we're talking about high grade pipes I believe there isn't such a huge difference in efficiency between making them one at a time vs. several at once. There definitely is a difference, but not as important as with large production (if you want to make over 300 pipes a year you really do need to get very efficient though).
The reason I say it depends on your character is that for some people making a batch of 10 stems can be a focused and quick process, while someone else will get so damn bored that it will take him more time than actually making and finishing them one by one along with the bowls.
Recently I found a method that is working out quite well for me: I keep many pipes on my bench, in different stages- some sketched blocks, some drilled ones, some halfway done, etc. That gives me two advantages: firstly I can do whatever task I feel like doing on a given day, which is very satisfying (as long as you do a bit of everything and get them finished eventually), and secondly, I have a finished pipe coming out of the shop every couple of days and I can get something finished quite fast (like before a show) instead of having a bigger batch (5-8 pipes is what I used to do before) and being stuck with those for several weeks before you actually have anything for sale. I will have to see how it works out in the long run but for now I'm quite happy working this way.

In the end it's to each his own :)
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

IAWR .. I agree with Ryan .. Not rad.. Although Chris does have a good point .. I work on multiple pipes at a time.. Unfortunately they all get done around the same time.. For instance the three I'm working on now we're all started at different times... Did various things to them over the past few weeks .. And bam.. They are all near the same finishing stage at the same time... Just have to polish the stems...

Honestly though.. Sunday's are normally no machine days for me.. And if I get Saturday's as shop days.. All the fine work gets done and Sunday's end up as tweaking and staining days .. But as was said.. Unless it's your full time job.. Do whats right for you.. And enjoy your shop time.. As it's about relaxation not production .. At least for me

James
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Norm, do that, which yields the best outcome for you. Production only comes into it if it is the only thing you do.From a creative point, I like the one at a time model. :D
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

pipedreamer wrote:Norm, do that, which yields the best outcome for you. Production only comes into it if it is the only thing you do.From a creative point, I like the one at a time model. :D
The problem is that when you work only on one pipe you often lose perspective. You keep working on it and you are so fixated on getting the result that you want that you are not really making the best of your creativity. I almost never shape a pipe in one sitting, unless it's a classical shape that needs no creative shaping, but if it's some personal design I always let a pipe sit at least over night so I can get my eyes off of it and see it in a new light on the next day. Every time I do this I see things that I would have missed if I continued working on that pipe in one sitting. Of course it might be different for you, if you're not a professional pipemaker and you don't work on pipes everyday then it's not that much of a problem.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I find making pipes in small batches has helped me improve faster. drilling and shaping get easier with practice, and after the first one the second one is usually easier. going through the complete production cycle start to finish with a piece pieces at a time also gives you a good perspective on the overall process, and there's quick learning turn around to improve things. I've been doing this for a few years and still find things to improve with nearly every batch.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Wojtek, I agree , but that's when I take a break or do something else!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like to work on one pipe at a time, and I get the best pipes usually when I can do so. Start in the morning, finish at night.

However, that's not realistic in many ways. So I very often have 2 or 3 pipes on the go - one delrin tenon has epoxy drying, one pipe is nearly finished, maybe needs only the stain to dry, so I am cutting a new stummel in the meantime.

But eventually, I stop switching around, and take a single pipe to completion - button work, polish, bend stem, stamp etc. Then double check airway, tenon, scratches etc.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:
But eventually, I stop switching around, and take a single pipe to completion - button work, polish, bend stem, stamp etc. Then double check airway, tenon, scratches etc...
...and when I see I messed up all those things, say "Fuck it!" and ship the pipe anyway. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Massis

Post by Massis »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
But eventually, I stop switching around, and take a single pipe to completion - button work, polish, bend stem, stamp etc. Then double check airway, tenon, scratches etc...
...and when I see I messed up all those things, say "Fuck it!" and ship the pipe anyway. :lol:
Well SOMEONE has to keep you in business now doesn't he?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't get no respect, ya know?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Tough crowd Sas.