Cumberland & Ebonite Rod

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
RadDavis

Cumberland & Ebonite Rod

Post by RadDavis »

I recently ordered some rod from Pipe Maker's Emporium. I have been getting it from them for a while, and I had been paying around $20.00 per 20 inch section.

With this new order, I was informed that their new stock is now $35.00 for ebonite and $37.00 for Cumberland for the same 20 inch lengths.

Do any of you guys know of any other rod sources, or has the price nearly doubled everywhere?

Rad
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Rad,

I was going to order from them a while back and I called and was informed that they were coming back in stock (yeah!) and that the price was going up to those numbers (boo!). I passed. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on this topic too. It's not too important for me since I am (and will be for some time) using pre-formed stems. But I was looking to move to rods (and I wanted some for the time being for trim rings/etc.). Not at those prices! At least, not until I get to the point (if I ever do) where I want to sell a pipe or two.

-Scott
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's the going rate, Rad. In fact, that's pretty close to not making any money on the rod. I and another pipemaker ordered direct from the manufacturer and, with shipping and import duty included, we ended up paying close to that. Within reasonable retail of that anyway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Dang!

Rad
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Can somebody supply contact information for this place (Pipe Maker's Emporium)--either a website or phone number. Thanks.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

TreverT

Post by TreverT »

That's what you get when you're buying in euros, Rad. Between inflation and the falling value of the dollar, yesterday's $22 is today's $29+. (The flip side is that I can now buy US stuff at *wonderful* discounts) You could always try ordering some direct from Janzen, but I don't think you'll save a lot.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

My brother-in-law lives in Denmark near several pipe makers. I'm going to have to have him make a rod run before his next trip here.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

US Customs will probably detain him thinking that it's explosives 8O
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

If it's any consolation I have to pay the same prices then Canadian duty on top of it. I just got a $200 order of rod in and had to pay an additional $30 to add insult to injury. If only Tom Eltang was still selling. The folks at Pipemakers give great customer service though and that counts for a lot.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I don't think Tom selling would help. His prices would have to go up as well. The price from the factory has gone up, and by the time you do the Euro conversions, add shipping, etc. the wholesale cost straight from the factory to the US is over $20 a stick for the 7/8" rod.

Tyler