Another zulu

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Another zulu

Post by kamkiel »

I tried a cumberland stem on this pipe, but I don't like it. I lack the ability to plan ahead as far as color and stem material, but I feel like I am just going to abandon cumberland all together. I actually was excited that I finally had a piece of wood with some descent grain for once, and feel that I ruined it by using a stem material that I hadn't used before. Oh well... critiques are welcome as always.

Thanks
Kiel

wdteipen

Re: Another zulu

Post by wdteipen »

That looks pretty good to me. The only suggestions I would make are to slim the shank and stem down a bit and put a slight taper on the sides of the stem to the button. As it is it looks like it widens to the bit even though it probably doesn't.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks Wayne. I have been using 8mm delrin on these stems and it feels like it locks me up when it comes to the thinness of the stem and shank. I will have to start doing a better Pre-planning job on these smaller pipes and start weaning myself off delrin tenons.

Kiel
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah, oval shank means get your tenon to 1/4" or below, and have the shank be 3/8" thick top to bottom and 1/2" thick or pushing 5/8" across. Get rid of that material to make an elegant pipe. Shaping is okay but you gotta get rid of the extra meat on these puppies.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Sasquatch wrote:Yeah, oval shank means get your tenon to 1/4" or below, and have the shank be 3/8" thick top to bottom and 1/2" thick or pushing 5/8" across. Get rid of that material to make an elegant pipe. Shaping is okay but you gotta get rid of the extra meat on these puppies.

Noted. Thanks. What is a recommended mortise depth on a 1/4in tenon?

Kiel
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I tend to make them long and looser fitting, 3/4"+. Of course, on that zulu shape you might find a limitation because of needing an angle on the airway, I'm not sure...
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Excellent! Appreciate the help.

Kiel
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think this one is better, Kiel. Like Wayne, I would like to see a bit of extra wood removed. For me, the zulu should be much more elegant and not so bulky. The bowl is also canting forward just a tad too much. It's a difficult shape to pull off, in my eyes.
Much better!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks! I am going to tweak my design a bit and see how the next one turns out. I really enjoythe Zulu shape and appreciate the feedback I got on this pipe!

Thanks
Kiel