Don't make 'em like they used to?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Don't make 'em like they used to?

Post by bscofield »

I know this is going to be a nearly un-answerable question, but oh well... For those of you who have been around our sort of toolage for a while (Brad P. you were in the tool business and I'd love your input):

As far as lathes go is it true that they don't make 'em like they used to?

I ask because I may have the chance to purchase a great old metal lathe from a heating and cooling guy who can't really use it because the shafts he needs to turn on it do not generaly fit in the *whatever you call the hole that you'd put an extra long object through that your turning*. Anyway, i know this question is going to be vague because I don't know who made the lathe or anything. All I know is that it's old (I've seen it) but is in great shape. I'll get more information for this post later but I was just wondering, in general, is it a good thing that this is an older lathe? Will that be an advantage, provided that it's not a super-low-end older lathe?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

If you get it for a good price, I'd say go for it. Some of the best pipe makers in the world are using tools in the forty to fifty year old range. Age is not the issue if you know the lathe works and it's a good price IMHO.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

If you get it for a good price, I'd say go for it. Some of the best pipe makers in the world are using tools in the forty to fifty year old range. Age is not the issue if you know the lathe works and it's a good price IMHO.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

My Hardinge second operation lathe is way over 50 years old, maybe closer to 100. Any South Bend, Logan, what have you will be better in some ways than a new one. South Bends are pretty easy to get parts for, other makes not so much. If it's, say, an 9 or 10 inch South Bend, buy it. Before somebody like me walks in and offers him more. Deals can be had, but most of the running South Bends I see in the paper are between 1200 and 1500 bucks, and they're always gone by the time I see the paper and call.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

JHowell wrote:My Hardinge second operation lathe is way over 50 years old, maybe closer to 100. Any South Bend, Logan, what have you will be better in some ways than a new one. South Bends are pretty easy to get parts for, other makes not so much. If it's, say, an 9 or 10 inch South Bend, buy it. Before somebody like me walks in and offers him more. Deals can be had, but most of the running South Bends I see in the paper are between 1200 and 1500 bucks, and they're always gone by the time I see the paper and call.
Well, you better stay away from my heating and cooling friend!! :x

8)