Pipe Makers Emporium still in business?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Pipe Makers Emporium still in business?

Post by LatakiaLover »

Their site's still up and their phone still answers with a message, but I haven't been able to get a response from anyone there for days. (I've made it clear I'm trying to buy several spendy items, too, not just asking about something I could look up for myself.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Re: Pipe Makers Emporium still in business?

Post by scotties22 »

I tried to call them today and left a message. Guess we'll see if they call me back.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Due to owner health issues, PME is up for sale.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:Due to owner health issues, PME is up for sale.
I suspect that the retail cruise missile known as Steve Norse has more than a little to do with it, too.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Just got an email from them this morning.

OK guys and gals, I need to let you in on a rather painful subject that needs to be mentioned.

Due to personal health issues, we are forced to sell Pipe Makers Emporium. So, if anybody is interested in buying our business, please tell me of your interest.

We have a Confidentiality Agreement that will need to be signed and a small refundable deposit given ($1000) to separate the merely curious looky-loos.

We will be selling everything ... inventory, equipment, customer list, supplier list, 30 years of good will, non-compete agreement from us, web site, etc. etc

(The customer and supplier lists will only be provided at actual time of sale.)

We will share last years sales and income statement to qualified investors."

Thank you,

Carolyn & Pipe Makers Emporium Ownership
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Hey Steve, I never thought it was possible to hold a monopoly on pipe making supplies, but here's your chance to build your empire.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by PremalChheda »

LatakiaLover wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:Due to owner health issues, PME is up for sale.
I suspect that the retail cruise missile known as Steve Norse has more than a little to do with it, too.
I do not think this. There are so many pipe makers now, and I am sure PME has more business now than they had 6 years ago. Yes, Steve is dominating, but there was room for competition.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I hope everyone at PME is OK, always sucks to hear friends having to have major life changes due to health issues, I for sure have had my bouts with health issues this year but have managed to change some things and get used to the differences in a weaker body.

Their closing has nothing to do with my success, there are many products or prices that they have that I don't and vice versa, that's what makes it sustainable for all of us suppliers, we leave enough room for each other.

Since my business has done so well, I have minimal interest in buying a business that is inferior to mine, but it's intriguing, just don't want to pay $1,000 to hear their price for everything. But that gives me an idea, if anyone wants to pay me $1,000 then I will tell you what I would sell my business for.... any takers? (fair warning, it will be quadruple what it's really worth).

I wouldn't be surprised if other suppliers choose to close their doors soon.... but have no fear, Vermont is here !!!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I wouldn't buy it either if I were in your position Steve but what I would do is find out what people were buying from PME that they were not buying from you, then expand your stock a little. :wink:
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

their acrylic stem inventory is very attractive, but requires quite an investment to do, hopefully someday I will branch out into more of them. Also will have tenon turning tools some day. Besides that, we have everything covered
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Vermont Freehand wrote:their acrylic stem inventory is very attractive, but requires quite an investment to do, hopefully someday I will branch out into more of them. Also will have tenon turning tools some day. Besides that, we have everything covered
I was buying acrylic stock from them...

It is my understanding that they also catered to quite a few pen turners as well.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Carolyn has always been helpful, as has Steve in Vermont. I just hope all will resolve and everything works out.Some very fine people run these outfits.Life just has to throw all of us a curve now and then to let us know where we really stand!
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

i always enjoyed buying from Carolyn