Take a look see at this stem...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bscofield

Take a look see at this stem...

Post by bscofield »

How does he go down past the center with his half saddle? I mean, is the airway off center? Is it drilled at an angle? I'm showing me green'ness on hand cut stems, I know... I'm just having trouble conceptualizing how it's done (for the whole 2 minutes that I thought about it! :naughty: )
marks

Post by marks »

Here is how I would attempt such a stem. I would drill out a 1 inch diameter rod, fit a delrin tenon, then shape everything off center. Not sure how the pipe pictured was done, but that is how I would try it. Naturally, the mortise would not be centered in the shank either.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Either it was drilled off-center (not that hard to do, really) or it was a very thick pice of rod stock and the bottom half was ground away. I find off-center airholes really handy for hawkbills, FWIW.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

So if it *is* off center does that mean that mortise is off center as well?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

bscofield wrote:So if it *is* off center does that mean that mortise is off center as well?
Yes. Peter's tenons are pretty small. Not sure how small, but smaller than the 5/16" that seems pretty customary here.