How Long Does it Take You to Make a Pipe

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Progcat

How Long Does it Take You to Make a Pipe

Post by Progcat »

Hello Everyone,

Just curious, how long does it take for others to make a pipe from start to finish. I'm not in any hurry whatsoever, but it takes me at least eight hours (and sometimes more) to finish one including the stem.

Progcat@msn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I'm not handcutting my stems yet, but it takes me about 4 hours all combined. But I rarely do that in one sitting.
marks

Post by marks »

I don't really track time, but I spend at least ten hours, spread over one to two months as I get an hour or two to work on one. I do a lot of shaping by hand with files, sandpaper, and occasionally pocket knives (for instance, the ridge around the front of the edge of pipe 1805 I cut with a knife :D ). I handcut stems on all my pipes.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

A minimum of between 8 and 12 hours per pipe. I cut all my own stems and do a lot of shank extensions though.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I would say maybe 3 to 4 sittings of 3 to 4 hours each. All of my stems are handcut.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

John! Where the hell you been!? :think:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That depends.

Some pipes take me about 1.5 to 2 hours start to finish. Other pipes take much longer depending on stem material, shank extensions, and finish type. The most I ever spent was about 8 hours total on a special order. That pipe gave me a load of trouble.

Regardless of how much total time it takes me, it typically take about 2 weeks to get a completed pipe finished. I let the wood rest after boring and rough shaping.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Kurt,

What's your reason for letting the wood rest after rough shaping?

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, just my own set of prejudices that I developed after 20-something years of working with wood. Wood needs to acclimate itself, and I figure "what can it hurt". I don't know if it helps, but it sure isn't hurting.

What I hope to gain is a pipe that takes a smooth finish much better than one that hasn't rested. I figure, with the wood rough shaped and drilled, there's still moisture to be released, and I want to give it the time to leave.

Crazy and wacko? Maybe....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Kurt,

I try to leave the drilled block for a good month or two as well. My reasoning is the same as yours. Get the last bit of moisture out of the heart of the block. I usually leave them in a sunlit window. The only possible exceptions are for special orders when the customer wants the Pipe ASAP and then I use a moisture meter to make sure all is well before sending it off..
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com