Does this bend look right?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
WillAndersonpipes

Does this bend look right?

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

This is 14. It isn't finished yet I was just seeing what yall thought about the bend I've got on this stem. I'll post more pics when it's finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sasquatch

Re: Does this bend look right?

Post by Sasquatch »

It's VERY difficult to make a shank that fat, AND a stem that short, and bend it, and not think "Huh this just doesn't look quite right". I cheat these and take a bunch of material off particularly the bottom side to generate a nicer curvature through the stem/shank area.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote:It's VERY difficult to make a shank that fat, AND a stem that short, and bend it, and not think "Huh this just doesn't look quite right". I cheat these and take a bunch of material off particularly the bottom side to generate a nicer curvature through the stem/shank area.
That's not cheating.

Shape, bend, then shape some more if necessary (and it almost always is with tapered stems) is the right way to go about it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Play with it till it looks good to you, then take pictures and see what you think.Your original pic could go either way. I would follow Sasquatchs'method, which to me is necessary on fat stems!!!
JMG

Post by JMG »

No critique on the bend. But that pipe sure would look nice with a natural finish, just nice and polished. 2 cents and all.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
WillAndersonpipes

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

Well it's already got a stain on it, but a very light one I'm just gonna leave it like this to make the grain pop and keep it a nice contrast from the Cumberland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk