Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
WillAndersonpipes

Post by WillAndersonpipes »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sasquatch

Re: #14

Post by Sasquatch »

Overall that's an attractive presentation.

I think the shank is too heavy for the bowl height, by the time you incorporate a little micro-curl up from the shank to the bowl, visually the shank is maybe 4/5 the bowl height and that's just too dominant to be pretty, usually.

Could be a light thing, but the top view makes the bowl look out of round. I'd guess that the NW to SE measurement is 1/8" larger than SW to NE. But again that could be lighting and angles.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
WillAndersonpipes

I think it's the lighting but I'll check, I don't have it on me right now. I'm hoping to make a finish sanding disk/ French wheel this weekend I got some 1/4 plexiglass from the dump to try and make a jalanesque French wheel that should help with rounding and getting my curve to where I want them quicker.

Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

I'm no expert. Don't claim to be.
My first thought when I saw it was "That's a chunky little thing. I like it."
After reading Sasquatch's post I went back and looked. The bowl does look a little out of round to me too. It doesn't keep me from liking the pipe though.
Rodney
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like the shank and stem. You did a good job, especially for #14. The bowl is quite small and this limits the curve on the bottom of the bowl significantly.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
WillAndersonpipes

You mean the height of the bowl? Yeah I agree the next time I do this shape I'll make it a little taller

Charl

Post by Charl »

For number 14 I reckon it's pretty cool. Keep going, with every pipe you make, you'll learn something new.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

There's a lot going with with this one. As Sas said, the bowl might be slightly out of round, and it's certainly too short for that shank, but overall this is looking great man! Work on the posture of the bowl with your next variation!

The shank and stem look a lot better on this piece as well, it's hard to tell from the top-down shot, but it looks like the shank/stem tapers steadily through to the button- good work!

A french-disc is pretty easy to make for sure, and it'll help your overall shaping quite a bit I imagine. You can get to the point where you don't need to do any actual shaping by hand if you practice!

Make another!

Cheers!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
WillAndersonpipes

Thanks for the feed back. I just finished making my french wheel and it works really well I just used paper backed sandpaper do you usually use cloth backed?