Pipe #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sig

Pipe #3

Post by sig »

I completed this piece while trying out some new tools and methods! This is my first piece using a sanding wheel and also using my lathe to polish and buff. This was also my first attempt with dye. I am very happy with the results!! I still used files and rasps for cleanup. The color isn't perfect in the pictures but it's close (it's a little more yellow). Please share your thoughts!
Attachments
0312016183554.jpg
(96.28 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
0312016183533.jpg
(95.52 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
0312016183430.jpg
(97.72 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
sandahlpipe

Re: Pipe #3

Post by sandahlpipe »

What shape were you intending to make?
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
sig

Post by sig »

I wanted a thick curvy Whale-like shape. My original thought was to shape the outside like an acorn by keeping a protruding cap on the top but I seem to have left too much material on. I've seen many comments about keeping a well defined shank but I wanted it to blend right into the sides of the stummel
sig

Post by sig »

Here is a profile shot
Attachments
0312016193155.jpg
(86.81 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's a lot easier to tell if you've hit the mark when you have a target you're shooting at. For the next one, I'd recommend aiming at a single shape. If you're trying to make a whale shape, plan it out and go for that. If you're trying to make an acorn, go for an acorn.

The one piece of advice I'd give besides a clear definition between bowl and shank is to look at the profile view especially around the place where the stem and shank meet and try to make the lines as continuous as possible. You've got a bit of a break in the shank line by the stem and the bend in the stem isn't quite smooth. Smooth lines and a clearly defined bowl/shank junction make it look better.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
sig

Post by sig »

Thanks for the great tips! This was my first time bending the stem. Next time i'll do some grinding after the bend.